Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Happy December! A Snowy Challenge, Vintage Bakers, and Eggnog Cookies!

Good evening, all! Hope you've had a lovely first day of December...can you believe it's here already?! So excited for the month ahead, and SO much to do!!!

Had a good but busy day today...taught two 3rd grade classes about the Ohlone Indians who lived in our area...I love teaching! Spent the rest of the day getting projects ready for a craft fair I'm involved with on Saturday...I'm WAY behind!

On Splitcoast in the Crafty Secrets' forum, Lori is hosting the challenge for this week--and it's to use our favorite Crafty Secrets item--stamps, printed images, whatever...and then add 5 embellishments...here's what I came up with:

I really love everything Crafty Secrets has to offer, but recently I've been having so much fun with the "Christmas" Images & Journal Notes, so that's what I chose to use. Love this soft, sweet vintage image...I've also been having fun making chunky, glittery snowflakes lately, so I decided to add 5 of those...

Look at all that pretty glitter! And I love my crystal rhinestones! Used my new Martha Stewart snowflake punches--having lots of fun with Martha lately! Also, check out the sparkle on this glitter! First time I've used MS' "White Gold" glitter, and it won't be the last! Wish you could see how much this REALLY sparkles!!! Sorry I hurried to photograph this, and the glue's still showing! My light was fading fast and I had to hurry! Just pretend you don't see it, please!

I've been making a lot of Crafty Secrets' Vintage Postcards from their wonderful kits--another thing I'm having so much fun with! Trying to get a bunch done for little gifts for friends...here's one I finished today:

After I took the picture this afternoon, I hung it on my kitchen Christmas tree--which I haven't even decorated yet--(such a slacker!)--and I LOVED the way it looked tonight, so I took a couple more pictures...

Isn't that pretty?! Used Martha Stewarts' new Red Tinsel glitter for the border--really fun & sparkly! And the tiles from the old Scrabble game I raided...(shhhhhh!!!)

I love this little tree--very retro and fun! I'll show it to you again later when it's all decked out and ready for the holidays!

Well, these little vintage bakers got me in the mood to bake something sweet and Christmas-y, so I pulled out a recipe I've been wanting to try since I saw it on Julia Stainton's lovely blog, last week for Mrs. Fields' Eggnog Cookies! (Just click to get to the recipe!) Here's what they look like:

Oh, they are DELICIOUS!!! The only thing I changed was to make some creamy, eggnogy frosting to top them off with--just did the usual softened butter, a touch of vanilla, lots of powdered sugar, and eggnog...I never measure ingredients for my frosting...just do it to taste and till I get the right consistency--easy peasy!

Sprinkled the top with some lovely, fragrant nutmeg and some granulated sugar for the necessary sparkle!!!

My daughter, Annie, nobly tried them out for me....YUM!!! Thanks, Julia, for sharing this--and other--delicious eggnog recipes! Go visit her lovely new blog--you'll love it!

Lastly, I couldn't let the first day of December pass by without one of my vintage family Christmas pictures, so here's one from the 1950's...

Just look at that fabulously '50's shiny tree! All those perfectly wrapped presents...and my grandparents, Dow and Velda Ostlund...Ah, the good old days!
Hope you have a wonderful night, and I'll see you very soon....Sweet dreams!

15 comments:

  1. Oh my Julie, so much goodness here today! I just ADORE that new card!!! It's positively beautiful. What a wonderful job you have done with the snowflakes and all. It's just gorgeous, and eggnog! One of my favourite things about Christmas!! Must give these cookies a try. I just love the old photo as well of your family. Aren't old photos just the best!!! Oh I do love visiting with you so very much. It's a real joy! I hope you have sweet dreams tonight. I can't wait to see what you come up with tomorrow! Love and hugs from across the sea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling us about Julia's blog! I may have to try all her eggnog recipes! I love all things Crafty Secrets, too. Your card is adorable and so is the vintage postcard. Have a great day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vintage postcard is darling!! So loving the snowflakes on the card on top too....wow - how do you find the time to craft when you're a teacher too!? Great photo - so much meaning behind these with our relatives from just a couple generations before us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gees Julie..where do I start? the ornament is brilant and the cookies to die for! Definitly gotta try them and LOVE the vintage Christmas pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is always such a trove of wonderful bliss and beauty that pours forth from your amazing posts, Julie. Thank you for the happiness and inspiration they bring me each time I visit (and many thanks for sharing that cookie recipe, the mister adores eggnog and I'm going to surprise him with these cookies a little closer to Christmas, thank you!!!).


    Giant hugs & blissful Wednesday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just adore you little vintage creations, especially those bakers! Yum! lol Those cookies look amazing, I'll send you my address so you can overnight some to me. ;)

    Love the vintage pic! Shiny shiny Christmas trees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for telling us about Julias blog. Looks so good these cookies!!!
    Your card and decorations are super sweet!

    Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog:)

    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs Hanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Julie those cookies look delicous...you've made my mouth water, I will have to go over there and get the recipe. Love your creations...they are so festive and sparkly! Your snowflakes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GM! I still love your card - I commented on SCS. But I have to say again..STUNNING!

    OMG...I have so much to do too for Dec. I'm just realizing how far behind I am just because it's Dec!

    That YUM is so cute! I have several of the post card kits but I haven't done anything with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    And I love the retro tinsel trees! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty card & cute tag! The shimmery glitter looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie

    That first card is absolutely stunning, anyone would be delighted to receive it.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmmm....

    everything.....mmmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW ... I am SO FAR BEHIND!!! Yikes, you've posted 4 times since I was here last! Shame on me!! LOVE the new holiday sidebars ... looks awesome!! Of course you already know how much I LOVE your creation for this weeks CS challenge ... but holy smokes ... that tree ornament is amazing and looks so great on the tree!! You go girl!!! Also LOVE the vintage family photo ... since I was born in 1950 ... I remember well this sort of scene!!
    okay ... three more posts to check out and see what I've missed! Keep up the good work Julie ... your blog is AWESOME!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glitter.. craftin'... and homemade cookies...I'll be right over ;))!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Card is beautiful, especially with those shinny and sparkling snowflakes. I love how you describe all the elements of your cards, and what supplies you used. Makes me want to jump in the car to buy them...on the spot! I have to admit, I have so many craft supplies and I'm surrounded daily by all the talent here in blogland...but I still don't get much accomplished, craftwise! Just homeschooling the children, keeping up with my blog, and keeping house make the day fly. Someday...when I start creating, I probably will never stop!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete