Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Santa Claus is Coming to Town!

 

DSC06366_edited-1 

Good morning, my dear friends!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I posted last…way too long!  I’ve missed you all & hope you’ve all had a wonderful Thanksgiving…

Here’s a wee peek at our feast:

DSC06314_edited-1

…another beautiful, successful turkey—thanks to sweet Marie (The English Kitchen)!  Here it’s getting one last squirt with the baster…..mmmmmmm!

DSC06325_edited-1

All carved up with some lovely veggies & fresh thyme…

DSC06300_edited-1

…and one of the yummy pies…Pumpkin Pie Supreme, to be precise!

We had such a great time this last week—and so busy every day!  My husband’s mother, brother and sister’s family came, my college girl was home, and lots of visiting from good friends…and oh, so much food…a fabulous holiday!

Well, now we’re on to Christmas, aren’t we?!  What a wonderful time of the year!  On to decorating our homes, beloved Christmas music filling the house, sweet smells from the kitchen, remembering family and friends, the traditions of our childhood…doesn’t get any better than this!

A little card I made yesterday to help ring in the season…

DSC06363_edited-1

This wonderful Santa image is from Crafty Secrets’ newly revised “Calendar” Creative Scraps…isn’t this the perfect Santa?!

DSC06370_edited-1

And with all the snow swirling around him, I just HAD to make a few chunky snowflakes to go with it…

DSC06373_edited-1

…a few jingle bells added to herald the arrival of the Jolly Old Elf…

DSC06376_edited-2

Isn’t it amazing how this time of year just brings out the kid in us all?  No matter how old I get, I still get that thrill of anticipation…that glow of excitement…I’m so glad I haven’t grown up yet!

hpqscan0001_edited-1

I love this photo from my childhood—1970--my two brothers, Steve and Scott, and I…sitting by the fire…I can just remember the joy we felt as the big day approached!

Do you remember whispering together and talking about the toys you hoped would be coming down the chimney Christmas Eve?  Falling asleep just imagining all the wonders you’d see when you came down the stairs the next morning!  Aaaah…magic!

hpqscan0002_edited-1

Santa Claus came for a visit the next year…so many years my parents arranged this…what a wonderful thing to have done!

Julie, Steve & Scott with Santa 1970_edited-1

What a happy face on red-headed Steve!  Scott not quite sure what to make of it all…!

Again…don’t quite know how my bangs were always rounded like this…Mom?

**I’m re-posting this today, as I forgot to add these this charming Christmas card sent from one sweet little girl to another way back at Christmas time, 1935…

hpqscan0001_edited-1

Isn’t this just adorable?!  Scotty dogs were so big in the 1930’s, which was partly due to the Roosevelts, who owned two while in the White House.

I have SO many more Scotty Christmas cards I’ll be sharing with you as we go through the season…some of my favorite images!

hpqscan0002_edited-1

Isn’t this fun?  “To Gladys from Evelyn Grant”, written in pencil in little-girl handwriting…precious.

“When it’s Santa

Claus time

In merry December

There’s a dear

little Girl

I like to Remember

with A VERY MERRY
CHRISTMAS”

hpqscan0003_edited-1

I love these stickers—still just as vibrant as can be!  And did you notice the interesting shape of the envelope flap?  Cards from the 1930’s are so amazing—can’t wait to share more of my collection with you!

Well, that’s all for me today.  Off to begin my decorating…and dreaming.  I hope it’s a wonderful day for all of you—the last day of November—where does it go?!

I’ll see you soon with something new…

Julie

30 comments:

  1. When you mentioned the chunky snowflake I just realized you make these not buy them. Press out a flake then glue it up and roll in glitter I would think. I will try this myself. Your dinner looks wonderful and yes I have some of those anticipation of Santa arriving memories too, we just got so excited we could not sleep. Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    I love your childhood pictures, I have some that are similar. I still have that woderful feeling I used to get as a child about Christmas but now it comes from more of a giving than receiving place.... comes with age I guess. I love your Santa card, You always make the most lovely things.
    Blessings~
    Gwenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome back and glad you had a great holiday!
    love the card and the pictures ~
    good memories :)
    ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie the card was so cute and I think he is the perfect Santa too. The gold medal decoration leaning against the hearth in one of your pictures, I remember that in my home as well. Oh how I love Christmas and the joy and excitement it brings. Have fun decorating and preparing for the big day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Julie... Decorting has begun in this house too. As I pull out each tub...my mind swirls and I wonder how did we aquire all these decorations?? The years have blessed us. Just wanted to let you know I'm over in Royal Oaks if you know where that is...I say Carmel, cuz people are more familiar with that town...no one knows Royal Oaks or Aromas,,, do they? LOL Have fun today. xoso Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another new look Julie. I love it! Very homespun! I also love this newest card of yours. What a jolly looking Santa, made all the more so with your talented creativity! I am so glad that your turkey turned out fabulous again. That really is the best way of cooking it isn't it! I am biased I know! Love the Christmas pictures of you as a child as well. You are so blessed to have these things! It looks like you had a fabulous Thanksgiving! I'm so glad that you did. I am sending wintery hugs and love from the frozen United Kingdom!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving...and I am loving your new card too! I am so excited for Christmas this year..I guess I get that way every year! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Julie! I swear, I thought December was next week. How is it tomorrow? Where does the time go? Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And now on to Christmas. Yikes! The days ar just flying by! Pumpkin pie is my favorite from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Anything with pumpkin -- muffins, soup, you name it! Love your holiday photos. When we spent Christma at Mammaw's in Mississippi, we could hear Santa's jingle bells in the sky. Of course, it was always exciting, but as we got older, we knew that it as a helicopter, I think from a local tv station or something, that would fly by and ring the bells. Ringing Christmas joy for all the good boys and girls. Wishing you a great rest of the week. I'm off to bed. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, love the bangs! Our Moms must have known each other because I swear my mom kept my bangs sooo short, they were probably 1/2" longer than my hairline and usually curbed too. Love the Card Julie, so nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie... sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends... your little card is so cute!... and I love the photos of you and your brothers when you were little... yes, I become 10 years old again too this time of year... so many happy memories!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Julie - Happy to hear that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with family! Ours was much the same, with the same result - I haven't created or blogged in days! Must get to it..... Love your beautiful vintage Santa card, so sparkly and cheery - it definitely captures the spirit of the season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie...so happy you had a wonderful holiday!!! I so enjoy looking at your old photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Julie,
    I just did a post asking if my fellow bloggers had vintage pictures of themselves during Christmas... and here are yours!! These are adorable pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. I just love seeing them.

    Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving.

    Cheers,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julie, I'm so glad you had a great Thanksgiving! Your cards are just adorable, you are so very talented.... love your photo's of you and your brothers, their so sweet!!! I'm your newest follower. I'm finally able to follow now, but I've been having problems leaving comments this evening, hope this one goes thru, it seems I get one thing working right and something else goes wrong with this blogger! Anyway enjoy the season!!!
    Blessings~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  15. That pie looks pretty yummy! Love all the cards you make! Hugs, Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you had a wonderful holiday!
    Your Santa is really perfect Julie. Such a wonderful card!
    Hugs from cold Norway (-17 celsius today)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness that pumpkin pie looks so VERY yummy! I made my first pumpkin pie 2 days ago. I was a little intimidated, since I have never made one before, and knew NOTHING about it. BUT I was very happy it turned out and was MUCH easier than I thought. lol. HOWEVER I must say that one looks much yummier! :)

    Thanks for sharing your delicious photos, and your card is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute photos! And I love your beautiful card. What a pretty Santa image and those snowflakes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There you are Julie! What lovely Christmas memories you have shared. I too remember the surprise of Santa coming into my home! A moment of panic remembering if you are on his list! Oh my I love your Santa card. This has always been my favorite image of him. Every detail is so lovely. As I type, snowflakes are twirling outside my window! Wonderful start to my day! E

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello again Julie,
    I wanted to come by and say thank you for entering my giveaway and posting it on your blog... but.. You also need to be a follower, once you do that , you are entered twice, just wanted you to know , so you don't miss out. Good luck!
    Blessings as always~
    Gwenny

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your childhood pictures are priceless, Julie. Cannot wait for Santa to arrive at my doorstep ^_~
    Sending some sweet snowflakes your way ***x***x***

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi julie,

    i just posted today after at least 1 week so i can relate. your thanksgiving dinner (and dessert) looks yummm-mmmy! it is my favorite meal of the year.

    happy december ~

    xo
    elyse

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohhhh so glad you had a lovely time. Your card is gorgeous and Love your photos from the 70's i remember it well lol.... great pics and thanks for sharing
    hugs June

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your card and also the vintage cards!! And the turkey looks delicious too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness....that turkey of yours makes my very hungry!!! Lovely cards once again...and I am sooo glad you got Kristy's cards...enjoy...Happy December to you my friend. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay already, you're turkey is already making me want some more!! It looks delish!!

    Love the card, the classic photos and stories. Thanks again for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Here hought I was sick of turkey but after seeing yours hummm... I wonder how long it would take to thaw out those leftovers! LOl
    A delightful Christmas card and love the vintage scotties!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Julie, I can only imagine
    what receiving a Christmas
    card from you must be like!
    So lovely! I am also a big
    fan of cards from the 30's
    but haven't collected them.
    What a wonderful idea. For
    some reason, reading that card
    makes me think of my grandparents,
    because that was the type of
    card they would have picked out
    for me. How wonderful that you
    still feel that same excitement
    every year. I have some years where
    I have IT and others, not so much....
    Maybe I need to read more blogs!
    {Shhh....don't tell my hubby!}
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  29. Everything looks just SCRUMPTIOUS!!! I love the nostalgia of your post Julie! The photos and wonderful stories, not too mention your always beautiful creations! I LOVE scottie dogs!! I have a wonderful vintage pitcher with them on it. So I am looking forward to seeing more. ( May we borrow them?)

    P.S. Your goody is on it's way!!!

    ReplyDelete