Monday, October 25, 2010

Tricks, Treats & Memories…

DSC05601_edited-1

Good afternoon, my friends!

Another Monday…how’s yours going?  Pretty quiet around here today, so I’ve been finishing my Halloween decorating, getting some baking going for this weekend, and just trying to keep up with everything!

Here’s a fun little card I worked up this morning to get me in the mood for the week ahead…

DSC05598_edited-1

Some sweet, only slightly spooky images from Crafty Secrets’ “Halloween” Creative Scraps…

DSC05608_edited-1

…a typewriter key button from Tim Holz…

DSC05604_edited-1

…crepe paper folded and sprayed with “Pumpkin Pie” Glimmer Mist, a bit of lace and some black & white gingham ribbon, also sprayed with “Pumpkin Pie”…

DSC05610_edited-1

…then some stitched-up buttons, some fabulous paper from Graphic 45, framing with platinum Stickles, and a tiny bit of Dazzling Dust for sparkle…that’s about it!

Now, on to a bit of Halloween decorating…thought I’d share a little corner with you…

Sorry about the lighting and reflections on the photos today…it just wasn’t working right…but you get the idea!

DSC05611_edited-1

My third-great-grandmother, Martha Maria Rutishauser from Switzerland, wanted to be included in the Halloween fun…

DSC05613_edited-1

…as did Pauline and Asahel…

DSC05614_edited-1

…and sweet little Velda the fairy…

DSC05618_edited-1

…Fern looks on as the pretty Frozen Charlotte doll holds my great-great grandmother Sarah’s beautiful black fan…

DSC05620_edited-1

Nobody wants to be left out!

Now, how about a little treat…that’s not sweet this time!

My very favorite homemade white bread recipe…

DSC05594_edited-1

I’ve been making this quite a bit lately…every few days.  It’s as easy as can be, and oh, so delicious!

Here’s the recipe:

AMISH WHITE BREAD

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F.)

2/3 cup white sugar

1 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (2 packets)

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup vegetable oil

6 cups flour

1.  In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast.  Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2.  Mix salt and oil into the yeast.  Mix in flour one cup at a time.  Knead dough on a lightly floured surface (I just knead it in the  bowl) until smooth.  Place in a well-oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat.  Cover with a damp cloth.  Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3.  Punch dough down.  Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half.  Shape into loaves, and place into two well-oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans.  Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

4.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

 DSC05595_edited-1

I love to keep this on hand for my girls’ school lunch sandwiches each day. 

The first day they brought homemade bread sandwiches, their friends were wondering what they were eating—isn’t that sad?!  Not much homemade bread around these days, I guess!

DSC05597_edited-1

Easy peasy, and you’ll just feel like Betty Crocker every time!

Now for a little memory…

hpqscan0001_edited-1

…my first Halloween as a mommy, with my sweet Chelsea Noel, in 1990.  Please notice my very classy Halloween jewelry…!

Well, that’s it for today…I’ll see you on Wednesday with some more Halloween fun..it’s almost here!

Julie