Monday, October 25, 2010

Tricks, Treats & Memories…

DSC05601_edited-1

Good afternoon, my friends!

Another Monday…how’s yours going?  Pretty quiet around here today, so I’ve been finishing my Halloween decorating, getting some baking going for this weekend, and just trying to keep up with everything!

Here’s a fun little card I worked up this morning to get me in the mood for the week ahead…

DSC05598_edited-1

Some sweet, only slightly spooky images from Crafty Secrets’ “Halloween” Creative Scraps…

DSC05608_edited-1

…a typewriter key button from Tim Holz…

DSC05604_edited-1

…crepe paper folded and sprayed with “Pumpkin Pie” Glimmer Mist, a bit of lace and some black & white gingham ribbon, also sprayed with “Pumpkin Pie”…

DSC05610_edited-1

…then some stitched-up buttons, some fabulous paper from Graphic 45, framing with platinum Stickles, and a tiny bit of Dazzling Dust for sparkle…that’s about it!

Now, on to a bit of Halloween decorating…thought I’d share a little corner with you…

Sorry about the lighting and reflections on the photos today…it just wasn’t working right…but you get the idea!

DSC05611_edited-1

My third-great-grandmother, Martha Maria Rutishauser from Switzerland, wanted to be included in the Halloween fun…

DSC05613_edited-1

…as did Pauline and Asahel…

DSC05614_edited-1

…and sweet little Velda the fairy…

DSC05618_edited-1

…Fern looks on as the pretty Frozen Charlotte doll holds my great-great grandmother Sarah’s beautiful black fan…

DSC05620_edited-1

Nobody wants to be left out!

Now, how about a little treat…that’s not sweet this time!

My very favorite homemade white bread recipe…

DSC05594_edited-1

I’ve been making this quite a bit lately…every few days.  It’s as easy as can be, and oh, so delicious!

Here’s the recipe:

AMISH WHITE BREAD

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F.)

2/3 cup white sugar

1 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (2 packets)

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup vegetable oil

6 cups flour

1.  In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast.  Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2.  Mix salt and oil into the yeast.  Mix in flour one cup at a time.  Knead dough on a lightly floured surface (I just knead it in the  bowl) until smooth.  Place in a well-oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat.  Cover with a damp cloth.  Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3.  Punch dough down.  Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half.  Shape into loaves, and place into two well-oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans.  Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

4.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

 DSC05595_edited-1

I love to keep this on hand for my girls’ school lunch sandwiches each day. 

The first day they brought homemade bread sandwiches, their friends were wondering what they were eating—isn’t that sad?!  Not much homemade bread around these days, I guess!

DSC05597_edited-1

Easy peasy, and you’ll just feel like Betty Crocker every time!

Now for a little memory…

hpqscan0001_edited-1

…my first Halloween as a mommy, with my sweet Chelsea Noel, in 1990.  Please notice my very classy Halloween jewelry…!

Well, that’s it for today…I’ll see you on Wednesday with some more Halloween fun..it’s almost here!

Julie

 

28 comments:

  1. that recipe looks like fun, can't wait to try it. love the pic of you and your cute daughter. time flies.

    xo
    ~molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie, your Halloween cards are so adorable! I love that you have included all of your family in the festivities! The photos look darling... and I totally love the beautiful black fan that was your great~grandmothers... what a priceless treasure! You are right, Halloween is almost here... I love it! It comes and goes so fast... enjoy your week!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your card with it's darling little witch! And the bread looks so so yummy! Thanks for sharing your goodies today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...freshly baked bread! My Mom used to do that almost every day! I should treat my family soon (or since I am not a baker it would be a trick...hee hee)! Love your Halloween decor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, my ancestors were..Charles A. Harper and William Mclure Lemon..Charles was asked by Brigham Y. to be the wheelwright for the first company into the Salt Lake Valley. And William survyed most of the Salt lake and Ogden areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card, with one of my very favorite vintage images! Love the bingo card in the background, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie,
    How I love seeing you and your daughter....so sweet. Aren't daughters just the biggest blessing in life? I just treasure mine!!! So glad you already stopped over for the giveaway. It was a lot of fun to do this!!!
    Big hugs,
    Suz
    P.S. Adorable cards, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love all things Halloween. Yours are extra special because of the family connection. Love the way the house smells when bread is baking. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much goodness here today Julie! A wonderful card, some precious ancestors, tasty bread and a sweet picture of you with your Chelsea!! Love the necklace. I bet your home looks just darling with the Halloween decorations put up. I can just imagine how lovely it all is! Sending lots of love and hugs your way and I am wishing for a loaf of that tasty bread. I wish I could bake bread, but alas, it is a talent that eludes me! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your adorable Halloween card! soooo cute and all the wonderful family photos (you are so clever)...the photo of you with Chelsea is adorable! :) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Halloween card, lovely combo of elements with lots to look at! Love the way your family photos are joining in the fun this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie

    I can smell that fresh bread from afar, it has such a unique amorma when you make it.

    I really love your Halloween creation with such a super vintage feel to it.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Julie,
    Love your post today. So happy to see more of your Halloween cards. Love what you did with this one. Those orange buttons are just the right Halloween orange shade. Your white bread recipe looks wonderful. What a beautiful young mom you were, and your daughter looks adorable. Such a perfect photograph in many ways. Have a great day!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie I had to call my daughter over to the computer (puppy in hand for her bath) to look at your bread recipe. Baking bread is her specialty, and she has promised to help me make this. Another wonderful card, oh my goodness I can't believe Halloween is nearly come and gone. Have a lovely day! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love your card, bread and the Halloween picture of you and your daughter!
    Wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all so pretty for Halloween! Happy Tuesday, Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julie, I love how you used simple little accents to family photos for a sweet Halloween look. Fun! And your card is great. I have a friend here who makes homemade bread all the time. I've never used yeast for anything except making wine. :) I dug out a recipe from break from my Independing Living Class in 1983 -- it doesn't involve yeast, but instant mashed potatoes -- and can you believe I can't find any in this country right now? I used to buy them all the time until I realized it is my better to make homemade mashed potatoes. And now when I want a box, I can't find them. Oh well! I definitely want to make some bread one of these days. Hope you have a great rest of the day and a wonderful Wednesday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable post : )!!
    Loved the masked relatives,
    your cards {as ALWAYS},
    the recipe AND seeing your
    first Halloween pic as a mama.
    I want to dig out mine now, too!
    I do remember dressing up my
    girl but no trick or treating
    that year! This bread looks
    delish. I love making Amish
    Friendship Bread but can't leave
    it alone....I'm betting this is
    just as good! Happy day, Julie!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that is just precious, Julie!! I LOVE your art!!! And I love the picture of you and your daughter--oh my gosh--it is adorable!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Julie, so very sweet card,-and so great decorations with your dear family-love the fan..
    and the sweet photo of you and your daughter-beautifull memory photo.
    Hugs and happy week-Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are the kind of Halloween cards I want to make. Trust me I'm starting in January next year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. CUTE CUTE CUTE!! I love you have so much family history!! I wore my hair Exactly like that when my oldest was born. (similar theme jewelry too!) When my kids got older I was proud to wear my macaroni necklaces!! Ahh memories! White bread too?? I KNEW it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Julie! I LOVE how you decorated your very somber family photos with masks and hats! HILARIOUS! Your card is over the top sweet...as usual!

    I just found out I won the Crafty Secrets Drawing on their blog! I AM SO EXCITED! HOORAY! Must go shopping now! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So good to catch up on what you have been up to. Great projects!! I love them all.
    Sorry to have been MIA. A bad cough, travel and this healing broken arm have slowed me down and made computer time a little difficult.
    We are off to my husband's college reunion.
    Take care!!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this Halloween card! so cute! The picture of you and your daughter is priceless.....and don't be knocking that classy jewelry....I STILL wear that stuff! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  26. Julie, what a cute picture of you and your daughter! Thank you for the recipe. I have such a weakness for bread and wish we were neighbors so I could pop over just when you pull out a warm loaf! Have a great day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore your Halloween card and such sweet decorations!

    ReplyDelete