Friday, October 29, 2010

What a Doll!

DSC05686_edited-1

Good afternoon, my friends!

This is going to be a long post today--but a special one to me…

Tomorrow is my beautiful Mother’s birthday…wish I could be with you, Mom!  So this is for you…

Earlier this month, I made Mom a little gift that I haven’t shared with you yet (but she has now opened it, so…!)

DSC05244_edited-1

A wall hanging about her very favorite thing in all the world (besides her family, of course!)…dolls.  She loves them all--but most especially, anything jointed.

Not only does she love them, she makes them…beautifully!  Ever since she was a little girl, she’s been studying, making and loving dolls…

Karen Ann Ostlund, age 5

…one of my favorite, which I’ve talked about here before…

DSC05246_edited-1

(It was a very gloomy day  when I took these photos, so the coloring isn’t quite right…sorry!)

DSC04904_edited

A very special doll in our family…sent to my great-grandmother Anna when she was a little girl by her father, Theodore, who was away for a time in Switzerland on business in the 1890’s…

 DSC05249_edited-1

…and another given to my Mother when she was a young girl in the 1940’s…

DSC05023_edited

Muslin and lace…ribbon, pompom trim…vintage mother-of-pearl buttons, bits of pretty vintage fabric…

DSC05241_edited-1

…and some fabric rosettes colored with Glimmer Mist…everything stitched together crazy quilt style.

DSC05237_edited-1

Here’s the real doll…my Mom. 

Mom in doll shop 2010_edited-1

The photo taken earlier this week by my sister-in-law, Karen, who spent an early birthday day with her.  Here she is in a lovely doll shop that just started selling some of her dolls…see them in the upper shelves of the cabinet?

Mom in doll shop 2010 2_edited-1

Here are a few of her dolls that I have in my home…

DSC05693_edited-1 

A pair of gollywogs…so sweet!

DSC05700_edited-1

A little bit of the detail Mom puts into each and every doll…

DSC05702_edited-1

Her hedgehogs…my personal favorites!  All her dolls are made with wool felt, are jointed, and their clothes are all completely handmade.

DSC05706_edited-1

Beautifully sculpted features…

DSC05717_edited-1

A couple of brightly clad girls… see the green shoes on the right?  Hand made of felt, as well!

DSC05722_edited-1

A little close-up of her beautiful ribbon embroidery…

DSC05724_edited-1

…and beautifully styled hair.

DSC05731_edited-1

All together now!

DSC05690_edited-1

A little card I made last night using an adorable new stamp set from Crafty Secrets…”Thinking of You”…perfect for today, I thought…

DSC05682_edited-1

I love paper piecing and popping things up, as does Mom, so as I did this I had her in mind…

DSC05685_edited-1

Well, that’s it for today.  Thanks for having a little birthday celebration with me in honor of my wonderful Mother…

Love you, Mom.

Happy Birthday!

Julie