Thursday, February 4, 2010

Silly Things...and Seriously Scrumptious Things!

Good evening, everyone!

Hope it's been a great day for you all...here in California tonight it is SOOOO blustery!  My espaliered apple tree is scratching against my kitchen window, the wind is howling & the rain is falling...a good night to stay inside all warm & cozy!

I have a few things to share with you tonight...first, a couple of silly cards...you'll see!

This week at Splitcoast in the Crafty Secrets' forum, Lori is hosting the challenge, and we are to make a masculine card.  Well...I'm not sure I succeeded very well...you tell me!




Yikes!  Even on a "man" card I add glitter...not to mention the man has an apron on...Sorry, honey!  I almost didn't add the glitter...I was DONE with the card...I sat there and looked at it, and before I knew it, I was glueing & glittering!  I have absolutely no self-control.



I've decided that real men not only wear aprons, but they like glitter and rick-rack trim, too...don't they?!

This fabulous image is from Crafty Secrets' "Domestic Goddess" Creative Scraps.  The checked paper is from their "Earthy" paper pack, and the striped background print is from Graphic 45's new "A Perfect Gentleman" collection.

Next, just for fun--or maybe because I'm so darn excited about the up-coming "Alice in Wonderland" movie, I whipped this up...





Isn't she fun?!  This fabulous image is from Crafty Secrets' "Storybook" Vintage Postcard Kit--I love this set! 


Can you see the sparkles coming out of her "Wishes" pot?  A little sparkly diamond glitter, thank-you very much!  And garnet crystal rhinestones are ALWAYS a good thing!



I found the perfect little watch face embellishment in my grab-bag of stuff I got from my Mom last summer--thanks, Mom!  A little yellow pompom trim and some sliver shavings glitter, and that's it!

Last, but certainly not least, some long-lost cookies from my childhood!  I've been looking for this recipe for years!




CHERRY CHIP COOKIES
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup cherry baking chips
Additional sugar


In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add egg yolk and almond extract and mix well.  Combine the flour, cornflakes and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in chips.

Shape into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.  Coat bottom of glass with butter and dip in sugar.  Flatten cookies with glass, and re-dip in sugar before next cookie.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until the edges are just barely golden brown.  Cool and devour!




Hope you love these--they make me swoon!  Here's what my youngest daughter Annie thinks of them:


See you soon with more to share...

Sweet Dreams!

29 comments:

  1. Great cards! Love the guy with the apron. These made me smile! I do believe guys like glitter and rick rack!! :) The cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie this Alice card is wonderful with all your pretty elements added to make it sparkle. Those cherry chip cookies, humm that rings a bell with my memory, I've had those at one time or another. Now where would I find cherry chips here in Homer Alaska? Have to see. Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by to say HI.
    Those cookies look delicious.
    And I love the new Emma and have been missing you as I watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real men DO like glitter! LOVE your cards ... all very unique ... 'cept for the sparkle! Omigosh, I haven't had those cookies since I was ... a lot younger, lolol! Printing it off; thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The man card is so great. I love it!
    And your Alice card is so wonderful.
    And last, your cookies looks so yummy:-)!

    Have a great day. Here in Austria the weather is also wet and windy!
    Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look wonderful! I love that Alice in Wonderland piece. Have a good night! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy looking! Do you need my address to send me a tin of them? Cause I'll TOTALLY send it to ya. ;-)

    Oh, I *LOVE* your man card, that is a riot! Soooo perfect!

    XO,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two more beautiful cards Julie!! I just love your masculine card and I love Alice In Wonderland! You have picked fabulous colours and trims for each of these fantastic cards. You're so very talented! I love how you show no restraint and just go for the gusto!! It's just wonderful!!! Oh, and those cookies. We can't get the cherry chipits over here, alas, or I would be in the kitchen right now baking some up. They look soooo very delicious!!! Yummy!! What a pretty girl you have there. I am sure that the good looks must run in the family. WE are having a blustery day here today as well. Rain, rain, rain. But at least for today I don't have to go out in it. Thank goodness!! Love you loads my dear friend! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards are great! Love them both!
    I wish you a creative and good weekend Julie! Hope the weather will be nice:)

    Hugs Hanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Might have to give these cookies a try although won't find any cherry chips around here -- would have to use Craisins; so wouldn't be quite the same. Maybe maraschino cherries dried and chopped up??? The cards are great. I'm thinking Mr. Man is showing his feminine side. HA! HAve a great weekend. Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh!-)*Dear Julie,

    I love this card with Alice...
    Great work,one more!-)))

    Thank you,

    With love,

    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh girlfriend, you are too funny .... glitter & rik-rak on the guys cards .... you are the "glitter queen" ... I totally understand!!!

    The cookies look YUMMY and I bet DD was thrilled to have you put a camera in her face as she was trying to enjoy this treat, LOL!!!

    Awesome post as always ... such a pleasure to come visit! Stay warm & safe ... we have a bad storm on it's way for tonight & the weekend! That means I'm headed for the Crafting Cave!!! HUGS to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, ha - Julie, even your cookies are glittery! :) I'll have to work out extra hard at the fitness center today, so I can make these yummy cookies tomorrow.

    Love your Alice postcard! I have the new Wonderland set on order from CS. Can't wait to ink it up!

    Hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend ahead. We're getting the same storm Darlene is - just a little bit behind. Perfect for baking & crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man cards are HARD!!!! I had to laugh at you when you asked "real men like glitter don't they" Well I think the tolerate our glitter. If given the choice I think most of them would pass on glitter.

    As for you Alice & Wonderland card... Make me one please!!!! I would love to buy one from you. Just like the one you made on this post. I LOVE IT! Stay inside so you will stay dry & warm! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both cards are too cool, love the man apron! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julie,
    I love the lighthearted manly card, it is so refreshing. I too, am crazy about Alice in Wonderland. Can't wait until screening time. So, I adore your Alice. Where on earth did your Mom find that adorable clock charm? A treasure indeed. Cookies look scrumptious.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH JULIE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD SEND THAT TO ME! I just saw your comment! I'll send you an email but, you are the sweetest most generous angel! Thank you! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't see an email button for you on your profile or sidebar so... if you will email me at:

    giftcottagehe@aol.com

    I will answer you back. Thank you Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie, your 'man' card cracks me up! And I think it EXACTLY the card I need to give to my husband and son, who think I can work full time and come home and constantly clean up after them! Love the Alice in Wonderland wall hanging too! The sparkles coming out of the pot is a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, if real men are going to wear an apron and cook, they better have dishpan hands and love glitter! That is so great, and so is the Alice card. Wow! And I'm jotting down that cookie recipe.Never knew there was such a thing as cherry chips!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the MAN card! LOL...and those cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love alice in wonderland! what a pretty card. wish i had one of the those cookies now. your daughter is very pretty and very sweet to let you post her pic, have a great weekend.
    blessings,
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Morning Julie

    Afraid I have been a very bad blogger recently, this one off Stampalot challenge and blog hop has been keeping me rather busy.

    But have had a little trawl round to see what you have been up to and must thank you for all your continued inspiraton and of course recipes.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post! Love that guy with the frilly apron. Those cookies are Perfect for Valentine month.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your man card and the Alice creation is just fabulous, love her sparkly wishes and the watch face was perfect on there! On the recipe however, the Brit needs educating - what the heck are "cherry baking chips"?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those cookies look delicious, although I'm not sure where to find cherry baking pieces. I don't think I've ever seen them around here.

    The masculine card in perfect! I love it! Okay, so it's not so masculine, but it certainly looks creative!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Julie,
    I have referred a friend to your blog! Her name is Gretchen. She wants to hook her sister up with you! Her sister lives in CA and is an artist wanting to get into card making! I said you were the best!!! Gretchen has launched a new "Facebook" for women over 40! It is called Midchix! It is like facebook but safer and has more tools. I have signed up as it is also free like Facebook. She is trying to reach the blogging commmunity and spread the news. It really is a lot of fun and a way to promote businesses, blogs, books, art, Etsy shops etc. I love that it is women only! Check it out and let me know what you think. I am planning on doing a post in the near future. I met her for coffee this morning and she is so excited. She just started blogging. She is planning once the site grows to advertise and use any revenue to fund various charities! A real Mama with big dreams!
    Look up my profile.....Mama Holli.......and check out the Flock I created about bloggers. You should create a flock about creating cards to post up your cards and any tips....inviting others to do the same! I think you will like it. I promise I am not trying to sell you something!! It is all free just like our blogging is! my email is hjoi_nuc@yahoo.com Thanks Mama Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I forgot to include the link!!!

    http://www.midchix.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete