Friday, January 8, 2010

My Very Own Domestic Goddess...

Happy Friday, everyone!  Hope you're at the beginning of a wonderfully fun weekend!  We're on our way out to a party with our girls, so we're off to a great start!

Just a few things to share tonight...been having SO much fun with Graphic 45 papers, as you can tell if you've been to visit me lately!  They are just gorgeous, and fit in so well with the kind of projects I enjoy doing.  Guess I'm wishing I was a domestic goddess, as I keep playing with that theme...here's my first card today...



Both the main image and the designer paper (and flowers) are from Graphic 45's "Domestic Goddess" collection--how can you not love paper like this?! 



Even though I love my modern conveniences, there's just something so beautiful about laundry on the line...I realize I could still do it--but my dogs would probably just eat it!  Look at those beautiful embroidered kitchen towels!



Decided to make a few punched flowers with the paper--love this look!  Some of my favorite silver shavings glitter, lace, ribbon, buttons...nothing much else!



"...service with a smile..."  isn't that how we all run our households?  (***wink!***) 

Here's my second card.  For this one, I used a mixture of Graphic 45's "Domestic Goddess", "Fashionista" and "Times Nouveau" collections...love them all!



Did a bit of fussy cutting on the flowers from one of the gorgeous sheets--gosh, it's hard to make that first cut!  After that, just keep those scissors snipping!



Look at the gorgeous detail of the flowers...had to throw in a couple of crystal rhinestones to surround the Domestic Goddess--nothing but the best for her!


I love her face...



...as I cut out this beautiful image, I couldn't help but think of my grandmother, Velda...




...can you see why?  She was a domestic goddess in every way...She raised beautiful, talented children, kept an immaculate home, was a wonderful cook, did beautiful handwork...sewing, crocheting, embroidery, and knew how to throw a good party!



She taught me so much, and I'll be forever greatful for her influence in my life...she still is a great influence in my life.  (Though I have to add that MY house is NOT immaculate, and I have oh, so much to learn!)

 Everytime I hand wash & dry special dishes, I remember doing it with her at her kitchen sink--how she taught me to do it so lovingly and carefully.  Every time I make her fabulous cheesecake...never tasted another as good as hers (maybe I'll share that with you soon!)  Every time I wipe down the bathroom counters, I hear her voice saying, "Always leave the bathroom so that it looks like you were never there..."  to be nice & clean for the next person.  Every time I pick up needle and thread, knitting needles or a crochet hook, she's sitting patiently beside me...

She taught me to be more caring and thoughtful than I might have otherwise been...I love and miss her greatly.  Thank-you to my very own Domestic Goddess...



Enjoy a beautiful weekend with your family & friends...I'll see you very soon!