Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Sweet Christmas Caroler....and Nature Girl!

Hope your Sunday has been lovely! We've had a nice, quiet day...Church then home all day--hardly even a phone call--perfect!

I've got a couple of cards to share with you today, and then I thought I'd tell you a little about my "day job"...not a typical job, I might add! Hope you don't mind me getting personal once in a while--we're all friends here, right?!

First off, another wonderful image courtesy of Every Thing Creative:


The "Merry Christmas" sentiment is from Pink Persimmon's "Little Christmas Cottage" stamp set--one of my favorites!

I'm really having fun with these beautiful digital images! They have a lovely selection of them--not many, but they're all just lovely--great quality! So easy putting this together--perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon!

I don't think it picked up well in the photo, but I printed the image twice, then cut out the lantern and popped it up on the card--I love a little dimension! A little glitter in the lantern, and that's about it! Isn't she sweet?!

Next, a darling little vintage image from Crafty Secrets' "Christmas" Creative Scraps--another quick one tonight--

The buttons at the top are very old from my husband's grandmother's stash--I'm lucky to have it and sometimes find just exactly what I need in her carefully kept little button boxes. Thanks, Grandma Gorrell!



For this card I used Graphic 45's beautiful new paper collection "Christmas Past". Just gorgeous stuff! Included in the paper pack are the two pieces at the bottom of my card--the calendar date and Santa's face. Lots of German gold glass glitter, a little diamond glitter in the fireplace (doesn't really show up here...) and some fun trim and we're done!

So, in my other life...the life that doesn't involve paper, beautiful stamps and tons of glitter, I work in our county park as a naturalist...in the spring, I--along with 3 other women--teach local school children about our native plants and animals, and the Ohlone Indians that lived here until the Spanish came and changed their way of life...I promise I'm not going to start a lecture!

We take the kids on a 45-minute hike through the woods, teach them about the plants, look for animal tracks, etc., and then in our classroom, filled with freeze-dried animals, including a mountain lion, golden eagle, turkey vulture, owls, etc., we teach them various classes on birds of prey, the food chain, etc.

In the fall, however--now--we go TO the schools to teach...take our show on the road, so to speak! Here's me on Friday in a 3rd grade classroom teaching about birds...


Wow--doesn't that little boy just look SO excited about what I'm teaching???


Getting a close-up look at our owls...

How do you like my glamorous naturalist uniform??? I always feel SO pretty! Love when I have to run errands right afterwards...!


Hawks, quail and blue jays...just a few of the poor birds that have to stay in the back of our cars during the fall--my girls don't love it too much!

Well, that's just a bit of my "other life"! Thanks for letting me share! I'll be back tomorrow with something glittery, and something VERY tasty!
Sweet dreams!