Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thanks to So Many, a Christmas Card, Yummy Cherry Dessert, and Oh, My! What a Sunset!

Good evening, everyone!

Well, ladies...I have very few brain cells today! The bug that was trying to bite me yesterday bit HARD! I'm mostly just really tired and muddle-headed--not good for a busy mom! Hope those of you that I know are ill are starting to feel better--wish I could brew up some of my Mom's hot honey-lemon drink for all of us while we sat and visited with a huge box of tissues nearby!

So many things to share today--we'll start off with some thanks, and then we'll end with more...how's that? First off--thanks to two very dear blogging friends, who become more dear each day as thoughts and images are shared...Julie Ranae of Julie's Open Window, and Anne of Anne-ecdotes, have both presented me with this colorful, cheerful award:

Julie presented me with this yesterday, and Anne today--thank-you both, ladies! I'm so honored that you thought of me! Going along with this award, we are to tell you 5 things that you may not know about me...here goes:


1. I LOVE history, as well as family history, and have been in love with both since I was a young girl.

2. I love to bake! Okay, this may not be such an unknown fact! I love finding new recipes, especially old family ones.

3. I love Old England and New England--they are my two favorite places on Earth! I was born in Boston, so I'm prejudiced, I suppose!

4. I love listening to classical music while I stamp--helps me think better and I love the atmosphere it creates. My kids love it, too (along with all the other kinds of music teenagers like!), which makes me happy!

5. My favorite thing to do when I have free time is to sit and watch one of my favorite period dramas (think "Pride and Prejudice", "Wuthering Heights", etc.), and I love to introduce them to my daughters, and help them to learn an appreciation for these wonderful old stories in a new way.

Well, that's all I could come up with today! (Hope you're still with me--that was long!)

I'd like to now present this around to 5 new friends: I was already going to present it to Anne, so here's a repeat award! Marie (oh, my! You've got to check out her blog--she's such an amazing cook, and just her pictures, descriptions and recipes make me want to whip up each and everything she posts about!), Darlene, Charlene, and Deb. Gosh! This is really hard to do when there are so many that I'd love to include!

Thanks again, ladies!

Now, for a Christmas card--I kind of forced myself to make this today--trying to get myself out of my slumpiness, so I'm not sure if I love it, but....I basically wanted to do this to use my new Martha Stewart snowy village edge punch--isn't it wonderful?!

Sorry the pictures aren't the best--we've been really gloomy here the last couple of days--no good sunlight! This beautiful Santa image is from Crafty Secrets' "Christmas" Images & Journal Notes booklet--love it!

I glittered up the tiny village with chunky Martha Stewart glitter, then diamond glitter, and a bit of German gold glass glitter on the edge, and apparently everywhere else! Glitter does have a mind of it's own, you know!


Moving on...are you hungry yet??? My kids wanted to take something sweet to their youth group at church tonight, so I did a very SIMPLE family favorite: Yummy Cherry Dessert!


This is from my mother-in-law, Shirley Campbell. She made a couple of family cookbooks a number of years ago, which I'm so grateful for! This is a favorite I fall back on time and time again, and it never disappoints! I've had people request it when they know they're coming over, so....it's good! Here's the recipe:


YUMMY CHERRY DESSERT


2 cans cherry pie filling

1 box white or yellow cake mix

1 stick butter, melted


So simple! Just pour the cherry pie filling in the bottom of a 9"x13" pan--I never need to grease it. Pour the cake mix on top of the cherries, making sure everything is covered nice and thick! Then, with a spoon, put the melted butter all over the cake mix, until there's a bit of buttery goodness just about everywhere! Bake in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.


That's it! I usually whip up some whipped cream for this--ice cream is wonderful, too! Enjoy!

Now to end with more thanks...to Charlene of My Heart's Ease for so kindly and surprisingly featuring me on her blog tonight. Such nice things were said, and I was very touched...thank-you so much, Charlene! Her blog is another wonderful place to stop awhile and visit--always filled with beauty and sweetness. Go soon and say hello!

This crafting blog world is such a beautiful place! I have met so many generous-hearted, loving women over the last few months--I'm very grateful to you all for touching my life as you have. Thank-you, all!


I'm so thankful for the men and women who have served this country and given us the freedoms we enjoy today. Those that are fighting this very day, and those that have fought for us throughout all the past generations...we would not be who we are today if not for them and their service and sacrifice...Thank-you.

Last of all, I'm so thankful to God for this beautiful earth and the glorious sunset tonight--WOW! I'll just leave you with these images, and wish you all a good night and sweet dreams....and I'll see you all tomorrow!