Tuesday, November 10, 2009

White Texas Sheet Cake, a Holly Sprite, and a Pesky Pixie!

Good morning, everyone! Hope the day is going very well so far!

Sorry I didn't get my post done yesterday...a cold bug is trying very hard to bite me, and I'm trying very hard to fight it off! Feeling a bit dozy and wonky today!

Got a few things to share with you today--first off, another sweet Vintage Postcard image from Crafty Secrets, from the "Baby Boy" kit:


I'm not really thrilled with the photos I took of these--my lighting (and my head!) is a little off today, but here it is, anyway!

Love this detail shot--what a gorgeous image! All I did for this one was add my silver glitter, some crystal rhinestones, a little diamond glitter on the stork, and some pretty, gauzy orange ribbon. These kits make little gifts SO easy to make!


Next, I LOVE The Graphics Fairy! Karen is so creative and so generous with her free vintage images, which I of course adore! Last week she offered up some adorable vintage images of sweet little sprites--this one is a holly sprite--I love him! Here's what I did with him:

Not too happy with these photos either--oh, well! Isn't he cute?! The paper I used is from the new Graphic 45 "Christmas Past" collection--beautiful stuff! I cut out the little sprite and popped him up with dimensionals, and the Christmas greeting is from Crafty Secrets' sweet stamp set "Season's Greetings". A little gold glass glitter, Xmas Red Stickles, some rickrack & ribbon, and that's it!


You can just barely see the diamond glitter I put on him--looks better in real life, of course!

Now, how about some WHITE Texas Sheet Cake?! I've only had the chocolate version before, but just found this in my recently acquired Gooseberry Patch "All Through the Seasons" recipe book...and oh, my! It's just fabulous!

Can you see what I added to the top? A little edible glitter, of course! My girls laughed so hard--they think I can't do anything without glitter! (They may be right.....!)



This is SO good, and so easy to make! Here's the recipe:


White Texas Sheet Cake

1 cup butter

1 cup water

2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

2 cups sugar

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tsp. almond extract

Frosting (see below)

Bring butter and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, eggs, sour cream and almond extract until smooth. Pour into a greased 15"x10" baking pan (just a regular cookie sheet). Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Spread Frosting on cake. Serves 12.


Frosting


1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup milk

4 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1/2 tsp. almond extract

1 cup chopped walnuts

Combine butter and milk in a saucepan; cook over low heat until butter melts. Bring to a boil over medium heat.

Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and almond extract; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until spreading consistency. Stir in walnuts.

(Originally sent in by Sandra Warren of Friendship, Ohio).



All the while I was making this sheet cake, I kept thinking about my wonderful Aunt Diana. She loves Texas Sheet Cake (in it's original chocolate form!), and I hardly remember a visit to her house when she didn't bake one for everyone.

She's been such a kind visitor to my little blog, and has made some lovely comments and shared some sweet memories with me, two of which are from when I was just a little pesky girl of 2 or 3 years old...I just happen to have pictures of these two remembrances, thanks to a kind auntie, who, instead of getting upset with her niece, decided to capture the moment on film instead...

She reminded me, a month or so ago, how I used to always go into her room, at my Grandma and Grandpa Smith's house, and get into all of her bracelets, putting all of them on my arms at once...

On another occasion, she tells of walking into her room (not too long after the other photo), and finding me on the floor of her room, covered in her scented powder...

Things haven't changed much, I guess--now I'm covered in glitter instead of powder! Thank-you, Aunt Diana, for your ever-loving kindness and reminding me of my silly early days! I love you!

Like I've said before...everything's connected in some way or another...I love when the past jumps into my present and I'm reminded that it's one long chain of events....

Hope your day is wonderful, and that you enjoy every moment! I'll be back tomorrow with something new...