Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Voice of the Sea…

Good evening, everyone! 

I hope it’s been a great weekend for all of you…another busy one for us!

Just a couple of cards to share with you tonight…ever since last week, I’ve had the ocean on my mind…

capri 2

…which then reminded me of our trip to Italy about 5 years ago….just look at that water!

We spent some time with my husband’s sister and her family while they were living there on the beautiful Amalfi coast…

praiano 

…in the beautiful coastal town of Praiano.  The view from their balcony which hung over the Mediterranean sea looked just like the one above…

I couldn’t quickly locate my own photos of the trip, but I found these online of the places we went that look just like my own photos…

We took a trip to Capri---aaahhh, Capri!

capri 1

One of the days we were there, we took a boat around the island to see the sites from the water.  I sat near the edge of the boat, and couldn’t help putting my hand in the water and just letting it drag along with the movement of the boat…

Capri 3

The water in the sea there is incredible…it’s warm, soft and silky…it feels like an amazing Calgon bath…it even smells good!  And so blue!  You’ve never seen a blue/aqua like this!

The best part was our visit to the Blue Grotto…

Capri_Grotta_Azzurra

The color is REALLY like this—it’s unreal! 

capri 6

Okay….back to reality!

Since I had the beautiful blue sea on my mind, I kept thinking of these lovely mermaid images I have, so that’s what I worked on this weekend:

DSC01859_edited-1

A sweet little vintage image I got months ago from my friend Elizabeth of Creative Breathing…I just fell in love with it!

DSC01871_edited-1

“Three little tales to tell,” it says…some vintage aqua tulle (thanks, Mom!) and some Martha Stewart aqua seam binding for the ribbon…half pearls for little accents…

DSC01863_edited-1

Lots of Crystal Effects and Dazzling Diamonds on all the pastel-colored bubbles, and some gold Stickles to finish it off.

And the next one…

DSC01886_edited-1

“The voice of the sea speaks to the soul…” Yes, it certainly does!

This lovely little mermaid is from Crafty Secrets’ “Mermaids” stamp set, one of my favorites.  The background paper was white, and I covered it with a few different aqua/green/blue shades of Glimmer Mist—I always love how it looks!

Some beautiful soft aqua lace that felt like waves to me…more of the Martha Stewart aqua seam binding…

DSC01882_edited-1

My little mermaid is colored with watercolor pencils, and highlighted with Dazzling Diamonds.

DSC01884_edited-1

And my favorite clear, fabulously chunky German glass glitter framing my mermaid along with some gold Stickles…and a few luminous pearl beads to finish it off.

That’s it for me tonight…off to watch a movie with my family.  I love summer! 

Hope you have a wonderful night…

Sweet Dreams!

 

27 comments:

  1. WOW! One that sea, can you imagine living there everyday??!! It is so beautiful (understatement!) Then your cards, you're a pro, I aspire to make cards like you and E someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie, once again you have created something totally unique and beautiful. I just love your cards! You're so very clever! I loved the pictures of the Amalfi coast. I want to go to Italy one day. It is one of my dreams! How lucky you were to be able to go. I hope that you enjoyed your movie and that you have a wonderful week ahead! Love and hugs to you sweet friend!
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, love the travel photos and of course the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE those pics Julie. I´m heading for a 14 days trip to the Amalfi Coast on Saturday. Can hardly wait to get there. We´re going to visit Capri and the Blue Grotto too - how amazing
    xo Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie... oooh I just love your little Mermaid cards! I too love the sea, and miss being there in a long while... I have a "dream machine" I put on when I go to bed at night that plays the ocean waves crashing to lull me to sleep... it's almost like the real thing! The Blue Grotto is just stunning, how I would love to go there! Sending happy thoughts your way... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mermaid cards are wonderful..and Capri is a dream..thanks for the tour..I'll probably never get there, but always wanted to.. a sentimental journey is the next best thing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos, Julie! I LOVE the image of the three darling mermaids, and the embellishments you chose are just perfect with them, especially the tulle and the pastel-colored bubbles. The coloring on the CS mermaid is so dear - she looks a little sunkissed.

    Happy day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Wow Wow! I love your pictures from your trip, absolutely amazing. I've always wanted to travel to Italy...now I REALLY want to. The sea is so enchanting and inviting. I love it.

    The mermaids are so precious, I absolutely love them!!

    Hope you are having a lovely day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a deep blue sea to relax you. Love the memories. The mermaids are wonderful, so full of whimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards and these photo's are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie,
    Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. We visited the Amalfi Coast, Capri, Sorrento, Positano... all those gorgeous places in the summer of 2006! Not to far from when you were there. It was amazing indeed!

    I just adore the mermaid artwork. Those little mermaid images are precious! Such great inspiration to play with.

    Have a wonderful week.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Italy is definitely on my list of places to see. Loved your photos from San Diego. I love old architecture, archways and doorways. Your cards are always so lovely. Hope you are feeling much better by now. I can hear the wind blowing against the windows -- ugh, so much dust. Have a great week. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the mermaids! And I LOVE THE OCEAN TOO!
    By the way, I was waiting for a fabulous card on the 30th of last month. I guess I'll have to steal one from you in a couple of weeks! J/K :)
    You have so much talent dear Sister! And fans from all over the world! That's just amazing! Now they can see you are as great as I know you are! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi...I love these beautiful pictures..makes me want to go there! Love the darling cards too..your love shows through in everyone you make! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving your blues. I remember Capri...oh the water is indeed that blue. We did not go to the blue grotto but did feel the specialness of that beautiful place.

    Blessings,Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your images are so beautiful- we spent some time on the Amalfi coast a few years ago. We stayed at a sweet family owned hotel in Priano- your post has reminded me of those sweet memories. The mermaid cards you created are beautiful- I can imagine a few mermaids swimming in the beautiful blue grotto.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julie! You cards are always just exquisite, and these are no exception! I love that cute illustration from Elizabeth, and the mermaid is also so sweet. Both cards are so, sooo pretty!...Your trip to Italy sounded wonderful, and those photos are just dreamy! Have a great day, Sweetie! xo Paulette ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julie!!! The waterway photos are just wonderful and I love your little mermaid cards! Lovely sharing...hope your day is lovely!
    Hugs,
    Coralie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie, Of all the places my husband visits in this world, Italy is the place I wish to some day visit. That your post today shows exactly why, and with mermaids to boot, I can't wait for my husband to return from (where else) Italy to show him your photos and remind him of his promise to me! I am smiling from ear to ear! A mermaid tag is on my summer list - my very favorite card! E

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your little mermaid is truly beautiful. Lovely colors and so so sweet!
    Have a happy happy creative creative day, sweet Julie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Julie, I LOVE your photos of the sea. You KNOW I am bannana's over all things beach/mermaid. I SHOULD be working on my swaps for the mermaid themed Les Sirens that will be in July but, instead... I am looking at blogs. Any chance you could share that image from Elizabeth? It would make adorable charms for a bracelet for the Event.

    Thanks for sharing the info on the Medit. Sea. We plan to go visit our friends in the south of France next year & they live 30 minutes from the sea. I am sending them your post to see if we can go there! HUGS! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Italy too! Your art is always nice! Love the crystal effects and the glitter!
    Hope you will have a super day!
    Hugs Hanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my that was nice trip you took me on there a blue grotto how totally amazing. You mermaid cards too were so sweet. Sure makes me want to visit Capri myself.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete