Sunday, April 25, 2010

Womens' Work...



Good afternoon, everyone!

Sorry I've been a bit absent the last few days...our college girl surprised us with a visit for the weekend!  She arrived home about midnight on Thursday night, and left again early this morning...such a quick trip, but we packed every minute with fun!

I filled in a few moments here and there with some cardmaking, and here's what I came up with...




First, this fun image I got from Marie's Freebies--so many beautiful vintage photos here!  I loved this image of a woman happily ironing...I admit this is not MY favorite chore!  (Love Downy's Wrinkle Releaser, though!)   



Just typed up my own saying on the computer, used lots of German gold glass glitter--nothing sparkles like gorgeous, chunky glass glitter!--lace and ribbon...and a few black crystal rhinestones.

Next, this lovely image from Magic Moonlight...



The colors on this are just yummy!  Another simple one...some lace, ribbon, a little chunky clear glass glitter and silver shavings glitter...the saying and thimble image are from Crafty Secrets' "Sew Special" stamp set...



This image brought to mind my line of mothers behind me...my own mother, who is such a beautiful creator of oh, so many things...


Her mother, Velda, who I've spoken of many times, who really taught me what I know about needlework...

I remember so many times she bought me some kind of needlework project when I was young and staying with her for a visit.  She would sit with me patiently...teaching me stitches...how to use an even tension...not too tight, not too loose...when I did embroidery or crochet work.  Whenever I pick up a needle and thread, I think of her...

She told me many times of these years of joy she had sewing with her sisters...


...here they are when VERY young (along with a neighbor's baby)...my grandmother is the oldest one with the short blonde bob...



...here they are later in life as young women in a local newspaper article, all about what they were doing for the summer---isn't that wonderful?!  My grandmother, on the right, recently married and excited about her new life...

When they were older, with children of their own, those that lived near each other would gather as many days as they could and sew together, letting the young cousins play and be together...all day long...until it was time to return to their own homes and prepare supper. I so love all her stories of those days...doing "womens' work"...


I'm so grateful for all I've learned from my Mother, from Velda, and from all the mothers that came before who taught them what all they knew about these womanly arts...


Have a beautiful Sunday...I'll be back very soon with something new...

***Please go and say hello to Marie at Lost Bird Studio and sign up for her beautiful giveaway!***