Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Material Girl...and the King of the Road!

Good afternoon, everyone!

Hope it's been a great day for you all!  Here, it's rainy & gloomy...but a wonderful day to stay inside and cozy!

This week is great for us cardmakers & scrapbookers...it's National Scrapbook Week! 


...and since you know me by now, you'll know there's nothing I love more than combining vintage cards with my family's history--so this works for me!

Crafty Secrets is sponsoring huge giveaways all week--go and check out the blog here, and please visit all the ladies on the Design Team for their wonderful projects and a $50 giveaway from Crafty Secrets in a different DT blog every day!   My day is Thursday...so please come back for that!  Today if you stop by to see my fellow team member Pam Hooten's blog, you can leave a comment to be eligible for the today's prize!

For today, I have two cards to share with you that follow this week's scrapbooking theme...my own scrapbooks are fairly simple...but my cards....not so much!   I'm having so much fun making family-history themed cards and giving them to people in my family...such an easy and fun way to remember them...Here's my first, along with a little story...


This is my 3rd great-grandmother, Lois Pratt Hunt...isn't she beautiful?  I love this photo--just look at that tiny waistline!  A beautiful plaid dress...wish I knew what colors it was...


This new stamp set from Crafty Secrets is called "Material Girl"...



...now, I do NOT mean to imply that Lois was a girl merely concerned with "material" possessions--far from it!  She was a hard-working pioneer woman in every sense of the word...but I know she loved beautiful fabric, and would have been very busy sewing clothes for herself and her family...especially for her first child, my 2nd great-grandmother, Ida.


Here's Ida...what a sweet, chubby-cheeked baby!  Lois, a little older here, with her loving husband, John.  Another plaid dress for Lois...

Lois saw so much in her life...born in New York in 1837, she crossed the country with her family as a teenager, lived in California with her husband and children where they helped to establish San Bernadino...and many other places in between!  She actually had a sad end...but I'll save that for another day...



A few more details from this beautiful set...look at that wonderful dress form, and the detail on that vintage sewing machine!  And how about these fabulous embroidery floss cards!


The background paper I used here is from Crafty Secrets' "Classic" paper pack...lots of silver shavings glitter, beautiful black lace & ribbon, and "Vintage Photo" Distress ink for all the edges...

Here's my next card--a COMPLETELY different theme!


This one uses Crafty Secrets' new and fabulous "Car Classics" stamp set--love this! 


Talk about a great set for masculine cards!  So that's just what I did--for my Dad...


Even though this is a "man card", I couldn't resist just a LITTLE sparkle...I mean...this is ME we're talking about!  So just a few touches of Silver Stickles...that's not too bad, right?!

One of Dad's old cars--not sure of the model and year--some of you may know, though!  I love this picture of him just standing casually by the car...my Dad has always been "King of the Road" to me!

Since Dad's the subject of this card, I just thought I'd share a few photos of one of the most amazing fathers in the world...


Dad (Clayn) and his older brother Grant....that's my Dad on the right...obviously taking this picture-taking opportunity very seriously!


...a few years later...I would have loved to see him during highschool in the '50's!  My Mom already had a big crush on him during these years...more about that another day!


Dad in his early 20's...such a handsome young man!  My Mom says he never looks any different in her eyes...isn't that sweet?!

Last one for today...


...my parents, Clayn and Karen...and me!  This was taken in 1962--a new family begins...

Thanks for spending some time with me today--hope you'll get the urge to dive into some old family photos & histories...can't wait to see what you come up with!

See you soon with something new...