Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mellow Yellow...Play Date Cafe' 19 and Sour Cream Banana Bundt Cake


Good evening, everyone!

Hope it's been a great day--still raining here--was just hailing wildly a few minutes ago!  I love days like this when I don't have to go anywhere except drive my kids to and from school...I can stay nice & cozy inside...just the way I like it!

I've got lots to share with you--no short post tonight!  The color challenge this week for The Play Date Cafe' is Deep Yellow, Pale Yellow & White, which led me toward an all creamy yellow day of cardmaking...I really enjoyed it!

First of all, here's the challenge for PDCC...





These colors are so soothing and spring-like...so much fun to play with!  Here's my take on the challenge:




I love this sweet image I found online...unfortunately, I can't remember where I got it--sorry!  I didn't keep track of things as well in the beginning--now I do!    I used some retired SU! So Saffron dp, lace, ribbon, a big vintage shell button, gold glitter, and a touch of Dazzling Diamonds on her flowers...that's it!

Next, in keeping with my mellow yellow mood, I made this card...a bit more summery here...am I wishing, or what?!


Another image I lost track of where I got it...again, apologies if it was yours...and thank-you!  I used the same retired SU! dp for this, just a different print.  I'm enjoying using what I already have laying around on my table, if it works...don't worry--I'm cleaning off my table tonight to get ready for tomorrow--new stuff!



Lots of Dazzling Diamonds on the sunflowers & leaves, and I surrounded her with mica flakes.  Around that, I edged the image with Cinnamon Stickles.    Finished it off with some beautiful brown crocheted lace, ribbon and my favorite brown & cream gingham ribbon.

Last card--are you still with me?  I really love this image--another one I found online from a lovely blog--Art-e-ology.  She does beautiful things with Photoshop and vintage images! 



Isn't this an adorable collage image?  Love the soft colors...The polka-dotted yellow paper is from a gorgeous new paper collection from K&Company called "Cut N' Paste", which I found at Michael's.  The yellow rose is one that I cut out from one of the pages in the pack--beautiful! 

Some wide, beautifully detailed lace, ribbon, creamy crochetetd lace...


...Dazzling Diamonds on the parts of the image I wanted to highlight, mica flakes all around.  You can't really tell here, but I did something really fun with the mica flakes today--I had an idea to put some in a ziplock baggy, then I sprayed in some Gold and Lemon Zest Glimmer Mist and mooshed it around--it dyed it perfectly!  I let it dry for a bit and used it around the image...in person, it looks beautifully creamy yellow & dazzling!

Last of all, in keeping with our creamy yellow theme for the day...how about the most delicious bundt cake I've ever tasted in my whole entire life?  Sound good?  Well, here you go!



The icing doesn't look as good as it did before I added the edible glitter to the top.  I love to sprinkle it on pretty things, but it kind of soaked in and looked funny...oh, well!  It still sparkled! 

It was my husband's birthday on Saturday, and all he asked for was a bundt cake...so I searched around for a good recipe, and found it in my Bundt Classics cookbook that I've had for years...never tried this one before, but he LOVED it--said it was the best he'd ever tasted!  

Here's the recipe:

Sour Cream Banana Cake

1 package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, cut into pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour a 10 or 12 cup Bundt pan.  If using a 10 cup pan, fill 3/4 full with batter and make 3 to 4 cupcakes with the remaining batter.

In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients.  Mix 2 minutes on medium speed.  Spoon into prepared pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes.  Remove from pan; cool completely on rack.  If desired, drizzle with Vanilla Glaze.

Vanilla Glaze

2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 Tablespoons milk

In medium bowl, mix sugar and butter.  Add vanilla.  Gradually add milk until desired consistency; mix until smooth.  For thinner consistency, add additional milk.



YUM!!!  This cake was dreamy, I tell you!  Try it--you'll LOVE it!

Well, that's it for tonight.  Hope your evening is wonderful and that tomorrow is as well.  I'll be back on Friday with something new.  See you then!

Sweet dreams!