Monday, March 22, 2010

I See the Moon...


"I see the moon, and the moon sees me...God bless the moon, and God bless me."



Good afternoon, everyone!

Look at the beautiful sight that greeted me this morning...



How's that for gorgeous?!  It was soooo foggy this morning, then--the sun started rising behind these hills, and oh, how beautiful it was!  Not a bad view for a backyard, is it?!

Well, moving away from the sunrise, I seem to have had the moon on my mind alot lately...remembering sweet rhymes and images from childhood--my own and my daughters'...here's one of my very favorites:





Not the best scanning job--sorry!  But I love this sweet poem..."Wynken, Blynken and Nod", by Eugene Field.  They don't come much sweeter than this!  My Mom tells me that my Grandmother Smith loved this poem, and would tell it to young children--me included--whenever she got the chance...


This is my grandmother, LaPriel, when she was 8 years old, about 1920, along with her little sister, Veon at 5 years old.  I don't have many pictures of my grandmother, and this one is very dear to me--Her mother, Mary, loved good literature as well, and I imagine LaPriel had this poem read to her when she was a girl...


...and here she is again, years later...a very young mother in the late 1930's...just at the beginning of her time reading beloved bedtime stories to her babies...

I copied the poem from one of my favorite books--a collection of books, actually, called "Childcraft"--I'll bet some of you are familiar with these.  This edition was printed in 1949, when my Dad (LaPriel's son) was 12 years old.  This series of books was hers, and she passed it along to my Dad, who then gave them to me.  I remember looking at them all the time when I was a girl, and I love them still.

With the moon in mind, and thanks to some fabulous images, I made this (yes--another one!) 3D Shadowbox card this weekend:


"Would you like to swing on a star...Carry moonbeams home in a jar..."  I love that old song, made famous by Bing Crosby...and it's been in my head all weekend!  It just came to me as I started putting this together, and guided me as I went along...



I found this star online, and just copied it in different sizes...glimmered them all up with "Iridescent Gold" Glimmer Mist and distressed them with Vintage Photo Ink...some gorgeous turquoise lace as a backdrop...


Don't you just love this sweet little girl lounging on the moon?  She comes from Crafty Secrets' "Altered Fairy" Creative Scraps--one of my favorites!  I stamped the background with a star stamp from Crafty Secrets' "Message on a Bottle" set.  The patterned paper used for the card is one of my favorites from Crafty Secrets' "Radiant" paper pad. "Over the Moon" was cut out from the "Altered Fairy" scraps.

It seems to have been quite a fad in the late Victorian to Edwardian times to have a moon as the backdrop for a portrait--I've seen so many--like the ones at the beginning and end of my post...they're just wonderful!



I found this wonderful vintage moon image online...just perfect!  Dusted him up with a bit of Dazzling Diamonds and LOTS of Glimmer Mist--doesn't show up too well in the photo, however--but it really looks great!  Then, of course, added a jar for our moonbeams...also from Crafty Secrets' "Message on a Bottle" stamp set.  The tag stamp is from their "Price  Tags" set.  The jar was "filled" with Dazzling Diamonds--what else for moonbeams?!

The sentiments I just typed up and printed...some lace, gingham ribbon, silver Stickles, glitter, gorgeous turquoise crystal rhinestones...and that's about it!

Well, I think that's all for me today.  I hope your day is wonderful in every way...and tonight, take a peek at the old moon and think of your favorite childhood rhymes, songs and stories.  Teach one to your babies, and enjoy every second...