Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mind Your Peas & Q's...and Dreams of Roses...


"Peas and beans do well in the company of carrots, leeks and turnips, neither of them thrive in the proximity of onions, garlic or gladioli."  --The Country Diary of Garden Lore--

Good evening, everyone!

Hope your day has been wonderful...mine's been full of everything, and not enough of nothing....does that make sense? 

I have a couple of things to share with you tonight...I definitely have spring on my mind today!  I worked at the Park again this morning...took a delightful 4th grade class on a hike and taught them all about the Ohlone Indians who lived here  for so many hundreds of years before we came here...a good morning!

Okay...my first card came about just because I've been feeling the need to get out in the garden.  My daughter's been craving a teepee full of sugar snap peas, and I've been in love with this adorable Crafty Secrets' image for ages...so this card emerged today...



...the image comes from Crafty Secrets' "Garden" Creative Scraps--isn't it fun?!  I came up with the saying myself...I've got a terribly corny sense of humor, so there you go!

I had fun "dyeing" the white pom-pom trim with Olive and Garden Fairy Glimmer Mist, added some lace and ribbon, Martha Stewart's "White Gold" fine glitter, some beautiful paper from K & Co., and that's about it!


Silly peas!

I love turning to this book each spring--one of my very favorites--to re-learn old gardening traditions and get tips and ideas...



This book is meant for the English gardener, but as I love England and it's beautiful gardens, I love this book, and take what information I can for me and my garden...It's filled with ancient garden lore, superstitions, traditions, practical information, and gorgeous images...a book to treasure.

Here's what they say about peas...

"There are several superstitions attached to the shelling of peas.  While it is considered good luck to find a pod containing a single pea, the luckiest pod of all is one containing nine perfect peas.  If an unmarried girl puts such a pod on the lintel of the outer door, the first man to cross the threshold will be her future husband."

Fun stuff!

Here's my second card...


I did this one to fit this week's Crafty Secrets' challenge over at Splitcoast--to use different textures on our card...  Hope this works!  Some beautiful lace, leaf trim, gingham ribbon, more K & Co. designer paper, Moonstone German glass glitter, and some more of the tattered roses I made last month...I love these!



So much fun to make!  I covered them with a couple of shades of pink and some gold Glimmer Mist--then dabbed them with some Vintage Photo ink to grunge them up a bit. Oh, yes...and some Dazzling Diamonds for just a bit of sparkle!


This little sweetheart is also from Crafty Secrets' "Garden" Creative Scraps.  She reminded me how excited I am about my garden full of roses...

We just pruned them back about a month ago, and they're all (over 100 bushes!) covered with lush new growth...it's the most marvellous thing to watch them spring to life!  Soon they will be covered with little buds...I am so ready for the heady scent of roses to be filling the air of my garden and the beautiful, fat bouquets filling my house....ahhhhh...perfection!

Well, that's it for me tonight...off to watch a little "American Idol" with the family...I've been getting so caught up in this show for the last couple of years!  Hope you all have a wonderful night...I'll be back on Friday with something new...

May your dreams be rosy!