Friday, February 26, 2010

A Wee Bit O' Blarney


Good afternoon, everyone!

Hope it's been a good day so far...it's Friday!  I always look forward to the weekend ahead with my family...hope you've all got some great things planned!

I've been thinking about St. Patrick's Day lately...I've always loved re-connecting with my wee bit of Irish heritage and enjoying all that goes with it.  I love the food--we always have a traditional dinner on St. Patty's Day, the legends, the images, everything! 

Do you know the meaning of "blarney"?  I did, but looked it up for you, anyway...it means "flattering talk...to cajole with flattery..."  And do you know how you acquire this gift of flattery?  If you're not born with it, that is?!  Right here...



Well, this is a really old but lovely painting of Blarney Castle, but since I'm a vintage girl, this is the one I chose to show you!  A beautiful old castle built around 1446 by the McCarthys in County Cork, Ireland. 

Here's the official link to the Castle, where you can go and kiss the actual Blarney Stone to be endowed with the "Gift of Gab" if you desire it...I don't know about this...doesn't look comfortable, safe...or sanitary to me!



...but, that's how it's done!  Anyways.....

Last night I made a little something to share with you today...


Oh, I just LOVE these shadowbox cards of Vicki's!  I've talked about these before if you've been visiting me...these are just so much fun to make!  I went a bit overboard on this one, but just couldn't stop myself!  Lots of lace, ribbon, green crystal rhinestones, glitter, delicious new Prima flowers...all in lovely Irish shades of green, of course!



Love this sweet Irish granny...All three of these images are from Crafty Secrets' "Seasonal" Images & Journal Notes booklets (the old and the new versions).


...couldn't resist tucking in a golden coin for good luck! 




...lots of Golden Rod Stickles, some buttons, "Irish" lace, and that's about it!  These fabulous frames are available now through Crafty Secrets--you'll just love creating with these, I promise!

This morning, I made this little card--I love this image of an Irish angel--just found it online.



Isn't she beautiful?  Since my kitchen table was littered with all this green stuff from the night before, I just pretty much used the same trims for this card...they were all the right colors, so why not, right?!

Last, but not least...I wanted to share one of my very favorite movies with you.  This is an old, classic Disney film that's not quite as well known, but it's just fabulous and full of vintage charm....and a very young, very handsome Sean Connery!


Yikes!  This was only about five years into his film career...he even sings, ladies!

"Darby O'Gill and the Little People" is the name of this sweet charmer--if you don't have it--get it somehow!  You and your whole family will love this--no blarney!





***Just added--Please be sure and visit Tammy at Art and Inspirations for information about a wonderful Charity Auction to benefit Angel Faces--thanks for letting me know about it, Tammy!


***Another add-on!  Just got home from picking up my daughter from softball practice, and look what we saw when we got home! 




This is in our backyard--it looks like Ireland to me!  It's been pouring all day and the sun just came through the clouds--amazing!***

Well, that's it for me today.  Hope your weekend is full of everything wonderful and I'll be back on Sunday with something new...See you then!