Tuesday, November 1, 2011

All That Glitters…

image

…is not gold.  So goes the old saying.  Shakespeare said it, although the word he actually used was “glisters”…the Old English form of the word…

J.R.R. Tolkien also used the reference in a beautiful poem he wrote for “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, long a favorite of mine:

“All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost…”

 image

…isn’t that wonderful?

But back to my original reference—not all that glitters is gold…

…sometimes, it’s a rock!

DSC06310(2) {our friend Jessica holding my two perfect rocks}

A rock from the beach… 

image  {beautiful Monterey Bay}

On a golden afternoon…just this past Labor Day, my family and I enjoyed a beautiful few hours on the beach at Monterey Bay…

image {two of my girls with their friend Jessica}

While we were there, the girls found this very interesting rock…I quickly put it in my pocket to save for another day…

DSC06370_edited-1

…I knew the moment I saw it EXACTLY what it would become!

And finally, months later, here it is…

DSC06872_edited-1

DSC06867_edited-1

{modeled by my beautiful daughter Annie}

DSC06864_edited-2 

Covered with Mod Podge and then literally doused, rolled & covered with real silver shavings glitter {my absolute favorite glitter!}, then covered over with Mod Podge once again to seal it all…

…it’s ready to wear.  A fun, very sparkly remembrance of a glittering day on the beach with my family…

image

Not all that glitters is gold.  Sometimes it’s something even better…

image

image

See you soon with something new…

Julie

 

LiveJournal Tags: ,