Monday, October 31, 2011

Tapping into Memories

image

It was a blue costume”…she told me immediately, “light blue satin with black X’s on it…”

I was about 5 years old, and we sang & danced to the song “School Days”…and she started singing it for me…

“School days, school days
Dear old golden rule days
Readin' and 'ritin' and 'rithmetic
Taught to the tune of the hickory stick.”

image
“You were my queen in calico
I was your bashful barefoot beau
And you wrote on my slate
"I love you, so"
When we were a couple of kids.”

As she finished singing to me over the phone, she giggled like a little girl… “I still remember all the words!”

 DSC06835_edited-1 {new page for my heritage scrapbook…Mom, ages 5 & 6, in her tap costumes…}

Our recital was at the Old Fox Theater in downtown Phoenix…it was so exciting!  It was such a fancy, old theater…”

image 

“Right after the performance, my mother turned that dance costume into a Little Bo Peep costume for me for Halloween…”, she said…

DSC06824_edited-1 {I really do think you can find ANYTHING online!  This cute little tap step button was one of those little findings}

Suddenly, she started in with:

jump forward, back, toe plant…

“jump forward, back, toe plant…

“step, knock, knock…

“jump forward, back, toe plant!”

Giggling again, she said, “I’m doing it right now!”  {sure wish I had a video phone!}

image

In the other picture” , she said, “I was about 6 years old, and my costume was silver, with TONS of sequins all over the top…don’t remember what I danced in that one…” 

DSC06677_edited-1

Sweet keepsakes, long protected…first by her mother, now by me…

DSC06685_edited-1

…metal plates…still shining, but oh, so worn…evidence of many, many practicing days on those little dancing feet…

DSC06686_edited-1

And best of all, as I turned it over…carefully written by her mother’s hand about 66 years ago…

DSC06682_edited-1

…I had never noticed that before… “Karen Ann Ostlund”…

DSC06697_edited-1

Scuffed, rumpled, and ever-so-precious…I love these silver shoes…

I need to share with you something my Mom made for me this Halloween season.  I know I’ve shared with you before what an amazing doll maker she is…

Please let me introduce you to Bonita…{Bone-ita!}

DSC06598_edited-1

…standing (with help!) at a little over 6 feet tall, this regal, skeletal beauty happily occupies a corner in my dining room…

DSC06581_edited-1

…just look at that fabulous rib cage!  Made using PVC pipe, bleached muslin & stuffing…genius!

DSC06589_edited-1

And a face only my mother could create…nothing scary about Bonita…just a sweet, new Halloween friend…{she does give you a bit of a fright, however, if you happen to be walking around in the middle of the night…she almost glows in the dark!}

Sending loving birthday wishes to my wonderful mother…

image

…thanks for letting me help you “tap” into your memories!

DSC06831_edited-1

…“jump forward, back, toe plant…”, she said again at the end of our phone chat…

“I’ll do it for you when I see you next time!”, she said happily…

I can’t wait!

Love you, Mom.

Julie

DSC06832_edited-1