Monday, March 21, 2011

Vintage Chicks…and a Winner!

DSC01881_edited-1

Happy Spring!

My goodness, what a blustery, rainy few days we’ve had! 

Here’s proof:

Yesterday, our poor trampoline—and it’s a HUGE one!—was carried by the wind from farther down in our one-acre backyard…

DSC01858_edited-1 (Folded in half!  To give you an idea of how large this is…my husband is a big man…6’4”)

…to being literally draped over our side fence!  I’m afraid there’ll be no jumping today…..!

Even with this crazy weather, the lure of Spring caught me in it’s clutches this morning, and I just had to make a couple of cards to celebrate the new season…

As you will soon see..the natural lighting is still horrible for photos. Almost as soon as I finished taking my pictures, it started hailing…oh, well!

 DSC01884_edited-1

Some sweet little Spring Chicks, courtesy of Crafty Secrets’ “Seasonal” Creative Scraps…

DSC01883_edited-1

…nothing too involved on this card…a bit of iridescent sparkle on the flowers, some spritzing with Glimmer Mist, framing with Platinum Stickles, lace, ribbon…that’s about it.

The colors I used today aren’t typical springtime card colors…

Lovely pastels will come later…for now, the colors of the earth awakening…deep reddish-purple buddings on my fruit trees…

…yellow-gold tips of daffodils emerging from the rich, brown, rain-soaked earth…

…these are the colors that are speaking to me these first new days of Spring…

DSC01874_edited-1

I love this vintage chick {sound  familiar?}…an adorable image from Crafty Secrets’ “Easter” Creative Scraps…

DSC01869_edited-1

…I cut out a second one to pop it up just a bit…

DSC01868_edited-1

…a bit closer-up…

Again, nothing too involved on this card…just the addition of some milky, smooth vintage mother-of-pearl buttons…

DSC01871_edited-2

Does everybody else love crinkled up, old seam binding as much as I do?  So yummy to play with! 

Okay…now for the winner of the Crafty Secrets/Eclectic Paperie Blog Hop here on my blog…

Cindy Adkins of Whimsical Musings!

Congratulations to you, Cindy!  I’ll be sending you an email message as well.

There were 16 winners between all the different blogs in the hop…we had so much fun! Thanks to all of you for playing along with us this weekend!

Well, that’s all for me today…whatever your weather this second day of Spring, I hope it’s peaceful, cozy, and filled with every beautiful thing…

…and if it’s not raining at your house…step outside and take a little peek at all the marvels of the season…they’re all around us.

See you soon with something new.

 

Julie

(blooming images found online…too rainy to take my own today!)

27 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    Wow, how exciting this is!!! Thank you SO much!
    And I can't believe the wind you had--gosh, that is
    amazing.

    I am so excited to win your Spring Chicks!
    How awesome is this?
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a gorgeous giveaway!!! Congratulations to You Cindy! You're a Lucky Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for dear Cindy! She is so generous and deserving!

    We went from stormy California to stormy Arizona. I think we need to go home to balmy Minnesota (haha!)

    I am loving chicks right now. Those are very cute, Julie. Thanks for being sunshine in our lives!!!

    Big hugs,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely couple of cards :) Happy Spring! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for Cindy!!

    Love your new cards, Julie. The one with the little chick holding the card is precious!

    We have had some bad storms, too. No wind like yours, but a lot of thunder and lightening! Hope the trampoline is still okay to use.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie,

    Congratulations to Cindy...she's pretty lucky! Yea we got your weather today, luckily nothing blew away at our house, but it was very windy. Today is all wind and now rain....great for the plants, painful for those of us with ailments. I pray you're not one of those!

    Congratulations to you too, and I'm very excited to sculpt for you. The bee and hive are very sweet and I hope to do them justice.

    Big Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh poop, I got carried away with the weather and forgot to mention how awesome your cards are. I so love the old Victorian look of them. Hopefully after the bloggers luncheon in April I'll be able to settle down and do some papercrafting that I've been wanting to do.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wind can really pick up those things, we had our land in the neighbors yard once! I love the sweet spring chicks...so sweet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie... congratulations to your winner!!! I LOVE your vintage chick! (yes, sounds familiar!)... that is just too cute... that was also some wind you had, wow!... we are expecting more snow here tonight if you can believe it!... wacky weather in Utah right now!... love all your Springtime blooms... I am hoping my survive the cold and snow... and yes, I too LOVE crinkly seam binding!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What chic chickies! Love these cards! It's so nice to focus on spring projects. I hope your horrendous weather passes quickly (and less destructively!). Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to Cindy!
    Love the sweet chicks.
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie, wow! Ya'll did have a storm with it being able to carry a large trampoline like that. Yikes! Hope things have calmed down a bit. We are having beautiful weather these days. Always grateful for blue skies, sunshine and no dust! Congrats to Cindy! She is always giving, so it stands to reason that she should receive in return. Peep Peep! Your little chicks are so precious. Have a tweet ... I mean, sweet day! :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful new cards Julie! As always of course! Your creative eye always amazes me, it truly does. My goodness what a wind that must have been to carry the trampoline off like that!! How scary! Glad spring is springing though! Congrats to your lucky winner. Happy Tuesday to you my much beloved friend! Hope the sun shines on you today! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super gorgeous cards! And gee, what a weather upthere. Luckily the weather here has been great for the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mama Julie,
    I have missed your sweet blog! Happy to get to stop by and say hello to you! May you have a beautifully delightful day!
    Blessings!
    Mama Holli

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful cards! I love them! Congratulations to Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julie!
    Beautiful cards and suddenly it feels like Spring..(on your blog only):-(
    I will just keep looking at your cards as they make me 'feel happy and springy!"

    Re; the doll, I found that last yr at an Estate sale it is now for sale on EBAY.
    look under a dancingmango.
    I have so much to clear out.
    I have not forgotten about you!
    ♥Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to Cindy!
    We had 4 1/2" of rain in 8 hours. It was AWESOME! If we only could've had thunder and lightning too - it'd've been perfect. I love a GOOD storm!
    Lovin' all your spring colors. My azaleas are bursting, and my geraniums are a close 2nd right behind them. Soon the day lilies will begin.
    I love your cards. But then, I always love your cards. I wish I had as much time to play as you. Sigh.
    Off to RoundTop.
    HUGS! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute chicks, so Spring like! I am looking forward to your something new, Julie. Your works are always beautiful, sweet and unique!
    I threw the 3 Julie notes in the big giveaway hat, fingers crossed crossed crossed.
    Enjoy your Tuesday, mine is coming to an end xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wind...rain..we have had it all too my friend. Today is lovely and it does give me hope that our Spring weather will soon be here. I love your spring chicks...adorable. xoxoxo Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love your chickie creations!!! Too cute! I definitely can't get enought crinkled seam binding! It's addictive.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Julie, your Easter creations are so darling! You got talent girl! More rain coming! Hold on to your hat too!

    Love ya,
    Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh, What a windstorm!!!!
    Adorable spring cards. Hoping for that warmer weather soon.
    Congrats to Cindy, She is such a wonderful person.
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Julie,
    If you get a chance, could you pop over to my blog? I just wanted you to see my latest post! I hope all is well there and again, thank you so much for these wonderful surprises!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such adorable chick cards! Add more yummy seam binding as a hanger and they would make perfect ornies for my Easter tree!
    Have a beautiful (and hopefully less windy) day ~ Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your sweet little chick card is soooo adorable. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, trampolines...not my favorite thing. A couple of years ago, our neighbor's trampoline blew over the six foot fence separating us and landed on both of our vehicles. Not fun!

    I love your cards...the 'spring chicks' card is gorgeous! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete