Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Mother’s Faith…

DSC05942_edited-1

Good morning, my friends!

What a beautiful fall day today…I love a bit of a chill in the air…just turned on our gas fireplace in the family room.  I love the sound of it warming the house…so cozy!

I have a few things to share with you today…

First, a sweet little card made to keep for a time when someone needs to know that they’re loved…

DSC05940_edited-1 

Made with a lovely vintage image from Crafty Secrets’ “Little Blessings” Creative Scraps.  A little lace, seam binding, vintage mother-of-pearl buttons and a few spritzes with some “Iridescent Gold” Glimmer Mist and that’s it!

The lace didn’t seem quite right to me when I put it together & I just had the thought to spray it with “Cherub Pink” Glimmer Mist…perfect!

Next, another card…can you tell we’ve got a theme going today?  Another beautiful image from the “Little Blessings” Creative Scraps…

DSC05911_edited-1

I love this little angel nestled into the moon…I cut out another one and popped her up just a little…

DSC05916_edited-1

…a bit of sparkle on flower, angel wings and moon from some Dazzling Diamonds…

While making my cards, I was reflecting on my own faith and all the blessings in my life, and I was once again taken back in time to a story of another mother’s faith…

A family that I’ve shared with you before…that of John and Sarah Vance and their many children…

hpqscan0001_edited-1

My great-grandmother, Estella, is the sweet blonde girl on the far right…this story belongs to her and her mother, Sarah…

One beautiful morning, when Estella was not quite two, she was playing on the family farm with her twin sister, when charging out from the fenced-in area came a horse, which knocked Estella down, crushing her head with one of it’s large hooves…

The child carefully gathered up in loving arms and rushed into the house…

The doctor  quickly called and he came, but with not much hope for the youngster’s survival…perhaps drilling a hole through her head would help alleviate the pressure and give her an easier time?…”No”, said the mother…

A family with deep trust and faith in God…many prayers said for the child’s recovery…

…but the mother could not just sit and wait…

Absalom M. Young photo with Bible

Her father a country doctor in Virginia at the time of the Civil War…Sarah had followed him around as a girl…observed and learned.  She’d made her own “medicines” for her dolls…

Sarah Indiaetta Young Vance

When a grown woman, she’d gone to the big city for several months (taking along a couple of her children!) to study the skills of midwifery to take back to her rural community. 

In her long years of practice, 1,600 babies delivered to their mothers—never a baby or a mother lost.

Keeping a prayer in her heart, she drew from teachings remembered from a father long since departed and her skills learned later in life, and she began to work on her much-loved daughter…

 “…molding my head at intervals, applying hot packs, watching hoping and praying.  And after about forty-six hours, I began to show signs of regaining consciousness.”  (From Estella’s writings).

DSC05897_edited-1

Sarah writes:  “I wrapped her head in towels that were saturated with a solution I always used.  I changed these packs and continued to work over her until she finally regained consciousness and I thought her out of danger…

“…the solution I applied is one that I used in all my cases of inflammation and infection with much success.  I used it for typhoid, too.  I made it myself by this recipe:  To one pint each of water and vinegar, add two ounces of spirits of camphor and about a teaspoonful of turpentine.  Just saturate a towel or bandage and keep it on the affected parts.”

Faith, prayer and a mother’s love and perseverance produced a lovely miracle…this little girl with her skull smashed so badly that it required being shaped and molded for hours by her mother was known all her life as a great beauty…

 

…who would have imagined that…?

A precious keepsake belonging to great-great-grandmother Sarah…

DSC05928_edited-1

…a beautiful fan—a gift to her from someone unknown to me—dating from the 1880’s…

DSC05929_edited-1

…lovely wooden beads trail down from the fan…I can just picture it clipped to her gown, beads hanging down to be felt unconsciously by those busy, loving fingers throughout the day…

DSC05930_edited-1

…made valuable by being a tangible thing left from a woman I love, admire, and continue to learn from—but never met…

DSC05932_edited-1

…the woman for whom my second daughter was named…

Sarah Indiaetta_edited-1

…Sarah.

I hope your day is beautiful…enjoy every moment….

Julie