Monday, November 8, 2010

Kitschy Kitchen Fun

DSC05849_edited-1

Good afternoon, my friends!

Another beautiful week ahead of us…how exciting!

Just a couple of things to share with you today…

First…a swap completed!

 DSC05845_edited-1

The Diner Pocket Swap, hosted by the wonderful Elizabeth of Bluebird Papercrafts

DSC05837_edited-1

We were to choose the name of our “diner” that would be the theme for our pocket.  I looked and looked for the perfect image…and this little blue owl jumped right out at me!

 DSC05849_edited-1

I mean, really…how could you not fall in love with this face?!  So the Blue Owl Diner came to be…

On the back side, a little pocket, holding a favorite recipe…

DSC05841_edited-1

This is my very own Leftover Thanksgiving Casserole.  Not very imaginative, but oh, so delicious!  I just came up with this one year while wondering what to do with our  Thanksgiving leftovers…

…all the flavors oozing and blending together…each layer a different but complementary flavor…YUM!

 

…and now, seriously, my family would probably rather have this than the original Thanksgiving dinner!

Here’s the recipe:

Julie’s Leftover Thanksgiving Casserole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a 9x13” baking pan, simply layer all the leftovers from your Thanksgiving dinner.

Start with the turkey (shredded), then the mashed potatoes, cranberry (sauce or jelly), gravy, and then last (but not least!)  the stuffing.  Pile it on!  You want the stuffing on top as it will get all nice and crunchy!

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until the top is golden and the sides are bubbling and fabulous…Enjoy!

Thanks for such a fun swap, Elizabeth!  Can’t wait to see what all the other ladies came up with!

Next…a little card made with the same lovely, kitschy Graphic 45 “Domestic Goddess” papers I used for my diner pocket…

DSC05867_edited-1

I  tried my own little technique with this card…don’t know if you can see it very well, but I made my own “oilcloth”…perfect for a kitschy card, don’t you think?!

DSC05859_edited-1

I melted a bit of beeswax and quickly brushed it on the paper—smoothing it as quickly as I could—and it looked just like oilcloth!  Smelled wonderful, too!

And the perfect vintage wooden button in the perfect shade of blue found in my button stash…

 DSC05862_edited-1

…a lot of sparkle on that strawberry cake, of course!

And last, just a few kitschy kitchen photos to leave you with…

Karen in kitchen dorm--BYU

My Mom, Karen, in her college dorm kitchen in the late ‘50’s…love the hair, Mom!

Karen the college girl, BYU, 1957

Here again in the same kitchen UNDER the kitchen table…she says she loved to lay on the cool linoleum floor and read or study…

Julie & Steve in kitchen, Glendale, 1966

My younger brother, Steve, and I in our mid-‘60’s kitchen…wish I could zoom in closer and see exactly what was in that open cupboard!  I remember this kitchen well…

Little Steven in his highchair 1967

 

One of my favorites--my brother Steve again--looking just so sassy!  (And he was!)  My Mom seems not to notice that he’s standing up in his highchair—always a no-no, if I remember right!

 

Well, that’s it for me today!   I hope the day is wonderful for all of you, and I’ll see you soon with something new!

 

Julie