Monday, June 21, 2010

Crafty Secrets DT Technique Challenge

Good morning, my friends!

It’s time for another fun Crafty Secrets’ challenge!  Our DT leader, Vicki Chrisman, has come up with a real challenge this time…we were to come up with a technique to teach using a tutorial and Crafty Secrets products….so, here we go!

There are so many wonderful techniques to try…but one I’ve been meaning to play around with is stamping in air-dry clay. 

This was so easy…and so fun!

DSC02123_edited-1

Here’s our supplies for today:  some craft porcelain, as it’s called…Pearl Ex powders (I used Stampin’ Up! powders, but there are other brands out there), Crafty Secrets’ clear stamps…I used the beautiful new set “Bonjour Merci” for my project…

…an acrylic block for stamping, paint brushes, knife…and I found it helpful to work on wax paper.

DSC02129_edited-1

First, just take a ball of clay and flatten it.  Choose the stamp image you want to use…

DSC02132_edited-1

…and stamp!  Push down nice & firm…

DSC02133_edited-1

The stamped image comes out beautifully…my camera wasn’t picking up the images very well yesterday…the lighting was terrible—sorry!

DSC02135_edited-1

Just trim the edges…

DSC02137_edited-1

…shape it up a bit with your fingers…like my “manicure”? (total lack of, I mean!)…

DSC02121_edited-1

Couldn’t get a clear picture of these to save my life!  (took about 20!) But, I did four little charms for my card…

DSC02141_edited-1

Now, it’s time to get messy & have some fun!  Just stick your dry paint brush in the Pearl Ex powder…

DSC02140_edited-1

…brush it in nice and deeply…add as much as you like…

DSC02144_edited-1

Pretty, aren’t they?!

Then, I just let them dry overnight.  The next step…I just gave them a quick spray with some glossy finishing spray to fix the powder, and they were all done!  Easy peasy!

Now for the card…

DSC02176_edited-1

I went for something a bit different for me…kinda simple and graphic…I love the lace edge border included in the “Bonjour Merci” set…so pretty!

DSC02172_edited-1

Just a bit of embellishing…some lovely black grosgrain from PTI, platinum Stickles everywhere, (of course!) and a bit of gold cord for the “Merci” tag…that’s about it!

DSC02170_edited-1 

I didn’t shape them perfectly…a bit wonky, aren’t they?  Oh, well…handmade things aren’t supposed to be absolutely perfect, are they?! 

I had so much fun with this technique!  Maybe a gorgeous heart charm next time…who knows?!

Hope you give this a try!  Please hop on over and visit the rest of the Crafty Secrets’ Design Team—I know you’ll find plenty to inspire you today!

Heartwarming Vintage Crafty Secrets Blog

Vicki Chrisman, Team Leader

Pam Hooten

Heidi Blankenship

Marisa Grosson

Linda Duke

Michele Kovack

Melissa Phillips

Flo from France

Deborah March