Wednesday, February 17, 2010

For the Love of Kewpies...& Play Date Cafe' #17


"Do good deeds in a funny way.  The world needs to laugh, or at least smile more than it does."
                                                                                      --Rose O'Neill

Good evening, everyone!

How are you all tonight?  Hope it's not snowing too much back east....hate to tell you, but I got really warm today while trimming my rose bushes today...sorry!  I'm a couple of weeks slow in getting it done, and today was perfect!  I love my roses...we'll talk more about "roses" in just a minute...

...but first, The Play Date Cafe' is in it's 17th week, and here are the fabulous colors we get to play with:




...loved the colors this week!  Our host this week is the lovely  Julie Ranae of Julie's Open Window... 

Here's my take on the challenge:


 
This is one of my favorite Kewpie images from Crafty Secrets' "Homemade" Images & Journal Notes booklet--love these pesky little things!


A simple card tonight...some lace, gingham ribbon, old buttons, and some lovely silver glitter!



I just adore Kewpies--just about my favorite images in the vintage world--and thank heavens there's lots of them to be found!  They were the brainchild of the wonderful self-taught artist, Rose O'Neill.




She was born in Pennsylvania in 1874.  Her father, loving her childhood sketches, declared that she would be an artist, and did all he could to encourage her talents.  She drew her first Kewpie around 1909...and the rest is history!



 I love each and every image, book, and doll I've every seen...wish I could collect them all!  Thank-you, Rose!  Here's a couple of dolls my mother bought me for my birthday this year--


...aren't they adorable? How could you not love these faces?!  Thanks, Mom!

Here are a few Kewpie cards I've made this year--before I started my blog--using Crafty Secrets' stamps. 




Cute Kewpie Birthday...



Music Lessons...




These are all from the "Kewpies" stamp set...




...and the adorable "Fishing Buds" set...



Aren't they sweet?!

Here's another card I made this morning...



I was in a springtime mood today, and these colors felt just right!  Loved playing with "Flower Soft" for the kewpie's garland. 




Well, that's it for tonight...hope you enjoyed my visit to Kewpie Land...I did!  Have a wonderful night, and I'll probably be back tomorrow night with something new.

Sweet Dreams!