Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Happy December! A Snowy Challenge, Vintage Bakers, and Eggnog Cookies!

Good evening, all! Hope you've had a lovely first day of December...can you believe it's here already?! So excited for the month ahead, and SO much to do!!!

Had a good but busy day today...taught two 3rd grade classes about the Ohlone Indians who lived in our area...I love teaching! Spent the rest of the day getting projects ready for a craft fair I'm involved with on Saturday...I'm WAY behind!

On Splitcoast in the Crafty Secrets' forum, Lori is hosting the challenge for this week--and it's to use our favorite Crafty Secrets item--stamps, printed images, whatever...and then add 5 embellishments...here's what I came up with:

I really love everything Crafty Secrets has to offer, but recently I've been having so much fun with the "Christmas" Images & Journal Notes, so that's what I chose to use. Love this soft, sweet vintage image...I've also been having fun making chunky, glittery snowflakes lately, so I decided to add 5 of those...

Look at all that pretty glitter! And I love my crystal rhinestones! Used my new Martha Stewart snowflake punches--having lots of fun with Martha lately! Also, check out the sparkle on this glitter! First time I've used MS' "White Gold" glitter, and it won't be the last! Wish you could see how much this REALLY sparkles!!! Sorry I hurried to photograph this, and the glue's still showing! My light was fading fast and I had to hurry! Just pretend you don't see it, please!

I've been making a lot of Crafty Secrets' Vintage Postcards from their wonderful kits--another thing I'm having so much fun with! Trying to get a bunch done for little gifts for friends...here's one I finished today:

After I took the picture this afternoon, I hung it on my kitchen Christmas tree--which I haven't even decorated yet--(such a slacker!)--and I LOVED the way it looked tonight, so I took a couple more pictures...

Isn't that pretty?! Used Martha Stewarts' new Red Tinsel glitter for the border--really fun & sparkly! And the tiles from the old Scrabble game I raided...(shhhhhh!!!)

I love this little tree--very retro and fun! I'll show it to you again later when it's all decked out and ready for the holidays!

Well, these little vintage bakers got me in the mood to bake something sweet and Christmas-y, so I pulled out a recipe I've been wanting to try since I saw it on Julia Stainton's lovely blog, last week for Mrs. Fields' Eggnog Cookies! (Just click to get to the recipe!) Here's what they look like:

Oh, they are DELICIOUS!!! The only thing I changed was to make some creamy, eggnogy frosting to top them off with--just did the usual softened butter, a touch of vanilla, lots of powdered sugar, and eggnog...I never measure ingredients for my frosting...just do it to taste and till I get the right consistency--easy peasy!

Sprinkled the top with some lovely, fragrant nutmeg and some granulated sugar for the necessary sparkle!!!

My daughter, Annie, nobly tried them out for me....YUM!!! Thanks, Julia, for sharing this--and other--delicious eggnog recipes! Go visit her lovely new blog--you'll love it!

Lastly, I couldn't let the first day of December pass by without one of my vintage family Christmas pictures, so here's one from the 1950's...

Just look at that fabulously '50's shiny tree! All those perfectly wrapped presents...and my grandparents, Dow and Velda Ostlund...Ah, the good old days!
Hope you have a wonderful night, and I'll see you very soon....Sweet dreams!