Sunday, February 26, 2012

Through a Distant Window…

DSC08093_edited-1 {on both these pieces, I used lace and seam binding at the top to represent the windows I was imagining…}

Hello, my friends!

Just a quick post today…the beginning of another busy, wonderful weekend…

…a couple of projects just for fun.  Both simple, both without a lot of extra adornment…I wanted to let the photos and beautiful vintage paper prints do the talking…

DSC08088_edited-1 {beautiful vintage prints found on Crafty Secrets’ “Creating with Vintage Illustrations” CD used on both pieces}

As I worked on these, I kept thinking how like looking through a window to the past they were…two unknown women, one an elegant flapper…

DSC08082_edited-1 {both vintage photos found on Pinterest}

…one a lovely maid…

DSC08095_edited-1

…both in the middle of their  busy lives…we’re just catching a brief moment of them…

DSC08098_edited-1 {close-up of one of the Crafty Secrets’ prints…such lovely detail on these!}

As I finished the pieces, I realized how much they were reminding me of my favorite of all favorite shows right now… “Downton Abbey”…have you been as swept up in it all as I have?!?

Downton Abbey. Brought to the US by PBS Masterpiece Theater.

Elegant ladies (one a bit of a flapper!) and lovely, busy maids {and plenty of handsome men!}…all going about their lives, and we get to catch a brief bit of them each Sunday night…

…and I’m absolutely smitten with them all. 

DSC08083_edited-1 {can you believe this beautiful pearl brooch is just an image from the CD?!}

See you soon with something new…

Julie

18 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS LAYOUT...REALLY BEAUTIFUL...NOW ABOUT THE PIN?? IT IS REALLY FROM THE CD BECAUSE I HAVE IT...NEED TO CHECK IT OUT BECAUSE IT LOOKS SO REAL!!

    THANKS!!
    MICKEY

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I love the quotes and contrast between the two.

    I have missed all the episodes of Downton Abbey and it sure is the talk everywhere. I can always rent the DVD's. It sounds like a fun show!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather think the styles of the 1920's and 30's were really cool.

    I don't get Downton Abbey on my tv channels. So I am trying to watch it on my computer through Netflix...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are gorgeous, and yes I too have been enjoying the Downton series and can't wait for series 3 to start

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, LOVE your newest work Julie. I also adore Downton Abby and can't wait for series 3. Have you ever watched Upstairs Downstairs? We have all of the original series and are now enjoying seasons 1 and 2 of the new series. Fabuous watching!! Love and hugs to you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get excited to see what you are up to just by seeing your pins on pinterest. This is a sweet depiction of early life. Struck me today as how the sepia of the photos has much to do with that industrial era and how it was very gritty. Oh how I love my Downton Abbey. Smiles..Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both pieces, the vintage photos are so gorgeous and the every detail made them even more beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    Big hugs from
    Vintage Collages
    .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Очень красиво!Спасибо за удовольствие!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be still my heart... Julie your cards are so beautiful, vintage works of art, and No I never would have guessed that was a photo of a brooch!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie, I hope you are all better now after having the flu. I just read your last several posts. Matilda and the pipe and Estella's hair. Wow! Your shadowbox turned out great. I cannot believe how much history your family has preserved. Unbelievable! I like your new do. I've been growing mine for a while now, too, and keep having thoughts of cutting it. My hairdresser is in New Mexico renovating a 100 year old house she bought so she won't be back in Kuwait very much though her husband is still working here. So hard to find a good hairdresser. I hope you are having a great day. Your cards are as pretty as ever. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the whimsy of these pieces...the "window treatment" is very effective! I hope you have a nice place in your home where you can hang these...they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been reading your last several posts...so interesting! I found this site and thought of you, maybe you already know of it:
    http://catnipstudiocollage.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another beautiful post. I have been wanting to get into Downton Abbey, but unfortunately have not, because I did not see it from the beginning. I will have to check it out of the library sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fun over here always...hope your weekend was amazing and your week will be filled with many blessing.
    Thank you for your sweet comments you always leave me...you really are a blessing to me. xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I know Julie!! I've LOVED Downton - the pictures of the two ladies are gorgeous - very different lives!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE your lay outs. And you are right those women's lives are sooooooo very different yet so alike to ours today. Never enough hours in a day. AND HOW did I miss Downtown Abby? I keep hearing about it but, never had a chance to see it. NOW I'm borrowing the whole series from a friend that has it on her I PAD! Finally I'll get to hear what all the fuss is about. Just back from California. OH HOW LUCKY you Cali girls are!!! I ADORE IT THERE! When are we ever going to meet? HUGS!
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Julie, both your pieces are gorgeous,-
    So very lovely- and filled with beauty.
    -I so hope we will get second season of Downtown Abby in Danish TV.
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous Julie! I love the beautiful, soft color palette you used, and the images are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete