Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Gifts of Love

DSC00279_edited-1

Hello, dear friends!

A new day, a new year…so much to be grateful for!

My parents are safely back home, my college girl back in class this morning…a quiet house…time for reflecting on a most beautiful gift given by a loving Mother…

Before Christmas, I made a request of my mother.  I would love nothing more than a family heirloom she could part with as my gift from her to me…so much better than any shiny, new thing…

As soon as she arrived, a couple of days before Christmas, she gave me one of her gifts of love…a gift too joyful and precious to be wrapped…she couldn’t wait!

DSC00203_edited-1

A scrapbook of my grandmother Velda’s engagement, bridal showers and weddingthe old, wooden cover gone, the spine still attached with a leather tie…(please forgive my gloomy-lighted photos from a gloomy day!)

DSC00204_edited-1

…lovingly handmade by the  happy bride-to be…

DSC00205_edited-1

…thick, beautifully aged paper,

DSC00207_edited-1

which carefully kept page upon page of well-preserved newspaper articles, sweet wishes from loved ones…

DSC00211_edited-1

…loving letters and telegrams sent…

DSC00214_edited-1

…gift cards and lovely vintage images…

DSC00217_edited-1

DSC00218_edited-1

…a carefully preserved bunch of flowers, lace & ribbons, pressed between pages at the back…

DSC00221_edited-1

On Christmas morning…more vintage treasures lovingly wrapped…

DSC00230_edited-1

…I squealed with delight when I lifted this doll from the tissue…I’d been with Mom in an antique shop this summer when she purchased this beautiful Frozen Charlotte-type doll head…price reduced a little, as it was broken at the base…no stumbling block for a brilliant dollmaker…

DSC00249_edited-1

Each item used on the doll, a thing filled with meaning and history…

DSC00238_edited-1

…one of grandmother Velda’s hand-embroidered handkerchief, and an old lace panel from Velda’s fabric collection…

DSC00246_edited-1

…a very old pin belonging to my great-grandmother Estella…

DSC00240_edited-1

…and the body—amazingly constructed using a very old leather lady’s glove…only one left of the pair…what a creative and perfect way to use it.

DSC00241_edited-1

And carefully nestled next to the doll…

DSC00290_edited-1

…a beautiful, very old necklace belonging to my great-great-grandmother Sarah…completely made of dark brown mother-of-pearl buttons…

DSC00296_edited-1

…isn’t it wonderful?  It moves so fluidly and feels so lovely around my neck…my Sarah loves it and says it’s hers…someday, Sarah.

Yesterday, a keepsake made to represent all these beautiful gifts of love from my mother…

DSC00276_edited-1

…another scrapbook page for my on-going heritage book…the beautiful black & white damask print will soon be available on Crafty Secrets’ new vintage “Designing with Vintage” CD, and the blue gingham print is from their “Earthy” paper pack…

DSC00278_edited-1

Velda’s luminous wedding photo to represent her hand-made scrapbook…a bit of iridescent glitter on her bouquet…

DSC00275_edited-1

…a beautiful frozen Charlotte doll head and musical wings from Crafty Secrets’ “Altered Fairy” Creative Scraps to represent my lovely doll…a strip of a gorgeous handwritten calligraphy—a gift for the new couple written by a friend, included in the scrapbook…

DSC00271_edited-1

…and a sweet floral embellishment from Recollections along the side of the page…

DSC00277_edited-1

…a bridal silhouette copied from a sweet little bridal shower card in Velda’s scrapbook…the veil and flowers now shimmering with glitter…along with a description of the bridal bouquet, written in Velda’s own lovely handwriting…

“White Roses and Lily-of-the-Valley

tied with wide white satin

Ribbon and Shower Ribbons”

DSC00272_edited-1

…a sweet “Remembrance” card, adorned with forget-me-nots, from Crafty Secrets’ “Vintage Photos” Creative Scraps…a few beautiful, dark brown mother-of-pearl buttons from my stash to represent my button necklace, and some lovely blue lace—part of a sweet Christmas surprise from a dear friend (thank-you, Vicki!)…

DSC00306_edited-1

Sweet gifts from the heart…thank-you, Mom.

I love you.

Julie