Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Things with Wings…and Something Sweet!

 

bird collage

Good afternoon, my friends!

What a beautiful fall day today…makes me happy!  I think it’s about to rain, which we really love here…we don’t get rain very often!

I’ve got SUCH a busy week ahead—so much fun in store!  My oldest daughter, Chelsea, is making a last-minute trip home tonight to join us in celebrating my mother-in-law’s birthday this weekend—we’re so excited to get her home! {even if it’s just for a few days!}

So we’ll keep things short & sweet today…just a few things to share with you…first, cards that I made for Splitcoast’s Dirty Dozen a few months ago, and couldn’t share here until now…

Over_the_Moon_by_Julie_Campbell 

This is one of my very favorite of the images in Crafty Secrets’ “Altered Fairies” Creative Scraps!  I LOVE this sweet girl just relaxing on the moon…so vintagely fabulous!

Over_the_Moon_by_Julie_Campbell_edited-1

I used some of my favorite pink crocheted ribbon, silky ribbon, a button, and of course, a bit of sparkle on Mr. Moon…and the “stars” in the background are platinum Stickles, of course!

Next,

Tweet_by_Julie_Campbell

A wonderful image from Crafty Secrets’ “Birds & Blossoms” Creative Scraps…love those dressed-up, chatting birdies!

Tweet_by_Julie_Campbell_edited-1

I just did a punched edge on one of the background pages…love the lacy look it gives…inked up and glittered the chipboard letters, added some lovely crocheted lace and gingham ribbon, a Prima flower, and that’s about it!

Now, how about that something sweet I promised you…?

DSC05126_edited-1

Lemon Curd Bars…Oh, my goodness, these are tasty!

Here’s the recipe, courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens’ Christmas Cookie magazine (my yearly favorite!)

LEMON CURD BARS

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 cups flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 10 to 12-ounce jar lemon curd

2/3 cup flaked coconut

1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds or coarsely chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a 13x9 baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.  Grease foil; set aside.

DSC05121_edited-1

In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar.  Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally.  Beat in flour and baking powder until combined (mixture will be crumbly).  Remove 2/3 cup of the crumb mixture; set aside.  Press the remaining crumb mixture evenly onto the bottom of prepared baking pan.

DSC05132_edited-1

Bake crust in the preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until top is golden.  Remove from oven.  Spread lemon curd over hot crust to within 1/2 inch of  the edges.  In a medium bowl, stir together the reserved crumb mixture, coconut, and almonds.  Sprinkle coconut mixture over lemon curd.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes more or until edges are golden and topping is lightly browned.  Cool in pan on a wire rack.  Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut bars out o pan.  Cut into bars.  Makes 32 bars.

Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days…{but they won’t last that long!}

DSC05129_edited-1

So yummy!  I didn’t add nuts to mine, as my girls don’t like them…hubby and I have to suffer…oh, well!  And next time I make this, I think I’ll make my own lemon curd first…it will be all the better!

Well, that’s it for me today.  I hope the day is beautiful for you, whatever the weather, and I’ll see you soon with something new!

Julie