Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just a Couple of Kids…

Good afternoon, everyone!

Hope it’s been a good day so far…it’s beautiful here today!  The sun is shining, a sweet, fresh breeze blowing…they say we may get some rain later, and I’m alright with that!

I’ve got a couple of things to share with you today…I’ve been playing with Crafty Secrets’ “Altered Fairy” Creative Scraps again—so much fun!  Here’s the first one:

DSC01467_edited-1

Such a cute little guy!  He just seemed to want to sit on the bird today….”Fly Away with Me”, he says…

DSC01468_edited-1

LOTS of Dazzling Diamonds, lace, ribbon, buttons, and silver Stickles…and my new addiction…machine stitching.  What took me so long to try this?!

And then this little cutie…

DSC01488_edited-1

She comes from Crafty Secrets’ “Childhood” Images & Journal Notes booklet…another favorite of mine. 

DSC01490_edited-1

Again, lots of Dazzling Diamonds---fairies need their wings to sparkle!

These little ones reminded me of a couple of old family photos I have (of course they did!)…it’s really pretty funny how very similar they are…you’ll see!

Dow 1916, 2

My grandfather, Dow…born in Canada in 1912…his grandfather had been commissioned to go there at the turn of the century to help build the canals in Alberta, and the family stayed.

He told of cold winters spent playing with his buddies in the curling rink, summers at his grandfathers farm, trying to outrun the turkey “gobbler” who was “the devil”, and doing all the normal things a boy would do.

And his wife:

Velda Ellen Stapley, toddler

My grandmother, Velda…born in Arizona in 1915…she would be about 2 years old in this photo. 

I love the story she told about when she was four years old.  She was fascinated with the piano teacher who lived down the street.  She’d been told she was too young to take lessons, but she just kept “showing up” every day at lesson time, and the teacher eventually took her on because she was wanted it so badly—Velda was overjoyed!

See why they reminded me of my cards?!  Little reminders all around of those that have gone before us….I’m so grateful for those little reminders.

I hope you have a wonderful day, and I’ll see you soon with something new…